cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Phone 8851 bluetooth option missing

matt steger
Level 1
Level 1

So my wife's employeer gave her this VoIP phone to use while WFH, I just realized that it has a USB port which I tried to connect stuff to and nothing seems to work, not even charging. While messing around (since he employeer is a cheap MF) to find a better solution for the headset she was given, I tried to connect the USB dongle for my Jabra headset, that does not seem to do anything either. Checking online I found that this CP model seem to have a BLUETOOTH OPTION?? What? so I tried messing around with the configuration and I could not find any bluetooth configation option, or anything even related (I'm a computer engineer so I trust me that the option is just missing). 

So, here is where I hope to get help, I'm wondering if her employee IT dep has just straigh up blocked/removed some options (the phone options seem rather basic for a +$200  VoIP phone), wanted to straigh up reset it and see what happens, but I don't want to cause her any troubles, so I have a few very specific questions:
* Would it even be possible to disable bluetooth? And say wallpaper options (that option is there, but there are no walpapers to choose from for example, not that I care about the walpaper though)

* Does the CP-8851 comes wityh bluetooth by default? There is nothing else to be purchased? Could this be model without the bluetooth?
* What does the USB work with? Could that be blocked by admin too? 

* Say I collect the networking information, could I factory reset and then just add gateway, DNS, domain details and get it working? Or does it required other configuration like VPN or such? 

Any help will be VERY appreciated, the headset she is using is just a piece of cr@p...... Really need to get her something better.

PD: Attached a video with all the config options available.... 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Jonathan Schulenberg

Would there be a chance the phone is running on an early release software that does not support BLE? 

@matt steger said even a grayed out BLE option is not even present?

View solution in original post

I have never bothered to look at a phone’s settings menu when the Bluetooth radio is administratively disabled in CUCM. I don’t know if it’s hidden entirely vs. being greyed out. It’s certainly plausible that an early build lacked BT support but my memory isn’t that good nine-ish years later. It’s also possible the employer ordered the non-radio SKU intended for classified environments, although that would be a weird mistake to make.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@matt steger wrote:
Would it even be possible to disable bluetooth?

There are two ways to disable BLE:  Admin disabled at CUCM or the phone is loaded with firmware that does not support BLE (early releases).

If the BLE option is grayed out, the admin has disabled BLE from the CUCM.  If the BLE option is not even present, the phone is, most likely, loaded with early release firmware that does not support BLE.  

Entry-level Cisco Headset 500 or mid-tier 730 are the choices she can use.

@matt steger wrote:
I just realized that it has a USB port which I tried to connect stuff to and nothing seems to work

I could be wrong but the USB port is meant for the exclusive use of the KEM.  

@matt steger wrote:
Say I collect the networking information, could I factory reset and then just add gateway, DNS, domain details and get it working? Or does it required other configuration like VPN or such?

It will render the phone completely useless.  It requires to talk to the CUCM.  

The best avenue is for your spouse to talk to the CUCM admin/manager.  

The USB port - if enabled - should work with any generic USB headset (eg Jabra, Plantronics/Poly/HP, etc.). It’s not limited to Cisco.

Agree with Leo though; the admin likely has the options disabled.

BTL options are not present, not even grayed out. Regarding the USB yeah, it simple does do anything so it does sound like it's disabled... 

@matt steger wrote:
Would it be possible to upgrade CUCM? I know for a fact that they IT dep won't help any further... I don't really care if the phone stop working, she can just play dumb and say we had lightning or something.. IT dep is not the smartest either... 

CUCM stands for Cisco Unified Call Manager.  It is a server that manages the phone and decodes voice traffic, from analogue to IP, and back.  It is an extremely expensive series of servers and requires a small army of talented people to maintain, operate, configure and troubleshoot.  

If the IT dept is not the sharpest pencil in the base, then there is no hope.  The worst case scenario I have singing in my head is the CUCM server is running a really old software, possibly one with known software vulnerability.  Because upgrading CUCM, or even upgrading the device pack, requires skills.

Would it be possible to upgrade CUCM? I know for a fact that they IT dep won't help any further... I don't really care if the phone stop working, she can just play dumb and say we had lightning or something.. IT dep is not the smartest either... 

PS, what does CUCM stands for?

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) is the server-side soft switch; it’s the brains of the phone system. It also manages/pushes phone firmware updates. IP Phones are essentially dumb terminals; all of their config is pushed down in a digitally signed XML config file and via the SIP registration. You’re stuck here without admin access to CUCM.

The last resort headset option would be the analog RJ9 connector on the back. Again, that can be disabled though (it’s on by default, FWIW).

So it's basically like an RDS server...? Ok, yeah, I'm stuck then, I thought the cisco phone would run it's own software and just send voice packets to the server... is there maybe an adaptar? The RJ port in the back does work, but I was hoping to turn it wireless, maybe an adapter? Does that exist?

Some of the business-oriented wireless DECT headsets support that RJ9 port. For example, Jabra Engage 65 or 75. Those headsets also support an Electronic Hookswitch accessory cable that connects to the phone AUX port and allows the headset to answer/end/hold/resume and go into standby when the phone is idle; however, this must be enabled on the phone by the admin - and it’s off by default.

@Jonathan Schulenberg

Would there be a chance the phone is running on an early release software that does not support BLE? 

@matt steger said even a grayed out BLE option is not even present?

I have never bothered to look at a phone’s settings menu when the Bluetooth radio is administratively disabled in CUCM. I don’t know if it’s hidden entirely vs. being greyed out. It’s certainly plausible that an early build lacked BT support but my memory isn’t that good nine-ish years later. It’s also possible the employer ordered the non-radio SKU intended for classified environments, although that would be a weird mistake to make.

Correct. I attached a video to this thread, where I go over the "entire" configuration... like 1 min long probably since there are not many options but anyway, if they (IT dep) has not bothered to update they wont do it just because someone wants to use a better headset... they truly don't care, is just one of those outsourcing companies and they don't care about the employee at all unfortunately ... still this was very informative and helpful. Thank you for all the collaboration  both of you