Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Voice Gateway | Dial Peer matching with preference 1

tschafferx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello world,

I have a question regarding the dial-peer matching mechanism with the preference command enabled.

Here is an example:

"Incoming"

dial-peer voice 1 voip

incoming called-number 3004.

session target ipv4: x.x.x.x

"Outgoing"

dial-peer voice 100 voip

destination pattern 3004[2-5]...

session target ipv4: x.x.x.x

preference 1

If a call comes in for 300453010 does it match dial-peer 1 or 100. The normal inbound matching flow would be incoming called-number followed by answer-address... My assumption is, that it would match dial-peer 100 since it is labeled with preference 1.

Any input is appreciated.

7 Replies 7

jonathan.salter
Level 3
Level 3
Incoming called number is a higher preference then destination pattern so it would match DP 1. Also preference 1 is lower than no preference, so all things equal DP 1 is a higher preference since preference is not implied.
Please remember to rate useful posts, click on the stars below.

Thank you very much for the reply. That clarifies it. Could you also please explain the process of similar dial-peer matching with a preference command:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number 3881.

direct-inward-dial

dial-peer voice 2 pots

preference 1

incoming called-number 3881[1-4]...

Assuming a call comes in for the number: 38814900 would it still match dial peer 1 or would it match dial-peer 2 since it has a longer prefix match.

Thank you.

Have you read the following excellent doc on dial-peer matching:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/call-routing-dial-plans/14074-in-dial-peer-match.html

Hi Chris. I did read the mentioned article. My question was more related to the preference command on the dial peers. The answer to the question is clear to me now. The preference is only of importance, if there are multiple matching dial-peers.

Thank you.

Thank you for your answer. That clarifies the situation. Could you please explain the following example:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number 3884.

direct-inward-dial

dial-peer voice 2 pots

incoming called-number 3884[1-4]...

preference 1

Szenario: A call comes in for the number 38841999

Will it match dial-peer 1 since it has a better preference or will it match dial-peer 2 since it has the longer prefix match.

Thank you.

Jonathan is correct.

Incoming called number is checked (preferred) before destination pattern.

Like routing, router patterns/dial-peers will always pick the "closest match", therefore on your example above 3884. will be match since it can match only 10 numbers while 3884[1-4]... can match 4000.

Preference is usually used as a tie-breaker when you have the same pattern.

Also read:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/cube-dp.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/voice/configuration/guide/fvvfax_c/vvfpeers.html#wp1244361

Rolando A. Valenzuela

Thank you for your reply Rolando.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: