cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Components for an IP Phone system

sidarthar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there - I'm very new to IP Telephony and was looking for some information on what the key components of an IP Phone system was. Here's what I have gathered

• The IP Phone itself
  • Switch
  • Router

Is there anything else I need besides the above (I've been seeing a lot of Cisco Unified Communications Manager - what's this for?)

Finally, would appreciate it if anyone could give specific model numbers for the components for a basic setup of approximately 100 IP Phones (Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The best way to think of it is 'what do you have in a normal phone system' and what replaces each part in a VOIP one?

PBX - the brain of the phone system - this is basically Comunications Manager; it manages your dial plan, configuration etc.

Phones - easy, replace with IP Phones.

PSTN Connections - replaced with Voice Gateways; you need these to connect to anything non-IP, e.g. E1/T1 ISDNs, or FXO/FXS lines. A fancy voice gateway for IP-to-IP if you have a SIP service provider is CUBE (basically a voice gateway with more software licensing rather than physical interfaces)

Wires - instead of a room full of mind-boggling cables extending to every corner of your building, you have a nice easy network of routers/switches, WAN circuits and VPNs. Oh, and of course you do have a network of Cat5 cables extending to every corner of your building.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The best way to think of it is 'what do you have in a normal phone system' and what replaces each part in a VOIP one?

PBX - the brain of the phone system - this is basically Comunications Manager; it manages your dial plan, configuration etc.

Phones - easy, replace with IP Phones.

PSTN Connections - replaced with Voice Gateways; you need these to connect to anything non-IP, e.g. E1/T1 ISDNs, or FXO/FXS lines. A fancy voice gateway for IP-to-IP if you have a SIP service provider is CUBE (basically a voice gateway with more software licensing rather than physical interfaces)

Wires - instead of a room full of mind-boggling cables extending to every corner of your building, you have a nice easy network of routers/switches, WAN circuits and VPNs. Oh, and of course you do have a network of Cat5 cables extending to every corner of your building.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron, 

Thank you very much for your fantastic reply which addresses all my queries. One final question, what device do I need to get to install the Communications Manager - can it be installed on any Windows machine or is there a specific device needed?

Many thanks!

Hi

You have two options:

Communications Manager Express - runs in IOS, on a router. 

Communciations Manager - comes in lots of varieties, but is a Linux appliance that can be installed into VMware.

It would be best to speak to your Cisco partner about this, there are lots of options to consider.

Aaron

Thank you very much.