cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confused about calling translation profile explanation In official cert guide 640-461

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

On page 143 of the official ccna voice cert guide there Is an example of a translation profile where calls from the PSTN with DID range of 6xxx should be converted to 5xxx to reach the internal network.There Is an explanation of why the called rule Is used instead of the calling:

"Assigning the translation rule as a calling translation would change the caller ID of a person

calling into the organization."

I don't understand this line. Shouldn't a calling translation change the caller ID of a person calling from within the organization and not into It ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are saying "Calling Translation" but do you mean to say "Calling Party Transformation?"

The Calling Party Transformation is relative to the direction of the call flow.

In CUCM, on a SIP trunk, in the direction of Inbound, the Calling Party is the PSTN caller calling into your organization.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are saying "Calling Translation" but do you mean to say "Calling Party Transformation?"

The Calling Party Transformation is relative to the direction of the call flow.

In CUCM, on a SIP trunk, in the direction of Inbound, the Calling Party is the PSTN caller calling into your organization.

Ok. I think I get It now. It Just came to me after reading your answer a couple of times. I also knocked my head on a shelf and that seemed to help too.

Thanks!