Views
Helpful
Replies

Confused about UC on UCS network connectivity

bourkabi77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a UCS-C220M3 where I want to install UC applications (CUCM and CUC). The UCS have 3 ports: Management Port and 2 Ethernet Ports (LOM).

Q1- Can please someone explain, using Cisco best practice, which ports should I connect to the network from these 3?

Q2: Whats the Cisco Recommendation regarding the vSwitch/vnic and vmnics when the server has only the above ports and two UC applications?

Q3: I've seen different recommendation on VLAN settings, anyone can shed some light on which VLAN setting I should put in place when doing UC on UCS?

Q4: On the switch, should the LOM ports be configured as trunks and the management port as an access port?

thank u.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All 3 ports should be connected, the CIMC port should be configured for dedicated connection for CIMC management.

The other 2 NICs should be put into vSwitch and shared by all VMs.  There are several ways to "bind" them, the easiest is to use default failover mode, though you can configure ether-channel, but that needs to be configured on the switch as well.

Chris

View solution in original post

Correct, I don't do anything with VLANs on vmware side, though some folks have other approaches.  You might need to worry about that if you do trunking instead of access connection.

On switch if you are just doing failvoer default config then all ports are access, if you want to do ether-channel then they need to be configured as well.

Thank you for nice feedback and words!

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bourkabi77
Level 1
Level 1

BUMP!!

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All 3 ports should be connected, the CIMC port should be configured for dedicated connection for CIMC management.

The other 2 NICs should be put into vSwitch and shared by all VMs.  There are several ways to "bind" them, the easiest is to use default failover mode, though you can configure ether-channel, but that needs to be configured on the switch as well.

Chris

I was hoping you or Rob would Answer. I want to thank you for your efforts helping other people.

So I connect all 3 ports to the switch.I associate vmnic0 and vmnic1 with vSwitch and that should be it.

What about VLAN? where are they a must?

Can you please answer

Q4:

On the switch, should the LOM ports be configured as trunks and the management port as an access port?

Correct, I don't do anything with VLANs on vmware side, though some folks have other approaches.  You might need to worry about that if you do trunking instead of access connection.

On switch if you are just doing failvoer default config then all ports are access, if you want to do ether-channel then they need to be configured as well.

Thank you for nice feedback and words!

Chris

Thanks dude,  you are a star.

I'm gonna configure them all as access port as all VMs wil be on the same VLAN.

Thx again.