Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller E1 missing after install the PVDM on NIM card

izamibh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, 

I've got this new vg router to deploy, ISR4321 with 2x NIM-2MFT-T1/E1 & 1x PVDM4-128. At first the router came with pvdm installed on motherboard. but when I try to create E1 pri-group it says no dsp installed. After a while found an article which show the pvdm must be installed on the NIM card itself. 

After installed it on one of the slots, my E1 0/1/0 & 0/1/1 is not available anymore. not down, but isn't there at all. And creating E1 pri-group from E1 0/20 & 0/2/1 still returned with same errors. the slots & subslots are detected on the sh inv commands. 

kindly need some assistance here.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have to have a PVDM card on each NIM card that you have TDM ISDN circuits on. The PVDM card can not be shared between TDM circuits on different NIM cards.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi,

PVDM4 on ISR4 can't be shared between NIM and other functions. If you
install on NIM (which is a must for PRI lines in ISR4), you won't be able
to use it for dspfarms. You will need seperate PVDM for dspfarm.

It's a restriction on PVDM4. The solution engineer to picked the router
model should know this as it's well listed in Cisco docs.

****** please remember to rate useful posts

This is not accurate, you can use a DSP card that is installed on a NIM as a shared device between multiple types of services, including Xcode, MTP and CFB in parallel as for TDM services. In short whatever is not used for TDM services can be used for other type of services.

Response Signature

+5 Roger. Thanks for correcting me. I rechecked the documents and found that only DSP installed on motherboard can't be used with NIM but not the other way around 

Thank you! It would be nice if you actually where to use the Helpful vote option on my response. ‘;-)’

Response Signature

I Already did before posting

Not as far as I can see.

image.png

You did however mark as Helpful on another reply.

image.png

Response Signature

Done now :). I did the wrong one before. 

Thank you!

Response Signature

Have you defined the card type as either T1 or E1? Without this the card controller does not show up in configuration.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, 

i've define the card as E1, and after a reload manage to get the E1 controller pri-group. However, second NIM cards on slot 2 unable to create the same. I've got the same error message saying no dsp found. Looks like the dsp cant be shared?

The pvdm is now installed on nim card on first slot. BTW, thanks much for the insight!

You have to have a PVDM card on each NIM card that you have TDM ISDN circuits on. The PVDM card can not be shared between TDM circuits on different NIM cards.

Response Signature

Thank you Roger!