cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

convert 7962G to SIP from SCCP

sisaacs54
Level 1
Level 1

Have a new 7962G.  Looking for the detailed instructions to convert it to SIP to use on a 3rd Party Sip server.

Can't seem to find a set of instructions....

7 Replies 7

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Steve,

Check out the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml

Also, check out the following post as well:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2016656

HTH,

Chris

Thanks.

I have that document.  I guess I was looking for one similiar for the 7962.  If I'm not mistaken it is java based so the steps or at least the files are different than with the 7960.

Steve

Are the phone(s) currently registered to CUCM?  You can use the Bulk Admin tool to migrate from SCCP to SIP.  Go to Bulk Admin > Phones > Migrate Phones > SCCP to SIP.

HTH,

Chris

This is a standalone phone not tied to CUCM or call manager.  We just want to test it for use as a SIP device registered to a C15 call server.

Steve

I'm  stumped on doing this upgrade.

I have a 7962 preloaded with sccp42.8-3-3SR2S

I want to convert to SIP to use as a standalone SIP phone to a call server.   No CUCM available.

I downloaded  cmterm-7942_7962-sip.9-2-1   and unzipped into the root directory of my tftp server.

I unlocked the phone and manually set the network parameters  and rebooted.

The phone searched for some xml config files but no fw upgrade.

So i'm obviously missing the boat on what needs to be done here.  I've looked at whatever docs have been posted including the 7940/7960 Conversion doc.

I also tried logging into the CLI but I am not aware of the admin  user/pw.

Can anyone set me back on track?   Again, all I want is a standalone SIP phone unleashed from any Cisco callmanager strings (which I don't have anyway)>

Thanks for any help.

Hi Steve,

I've just done this on a 7940.

You need to download the SIP firmware from cisco.com.

You also need to get a TFTP server setup and a DHCP server to give your phone an IP address and set the option 150 to point to the TFTP server. I used tftpd32 (google it) as you can run DHCP & TFTP on one PC, I actually used a crossover cable into my PC to perform the upgrade.

The zip file i downloaded: P0S3-07-5-00.zip (contained 5 files with various extension that I extracted into a folder and pointed the TFTP application to that folder)

You need to create a OS79XX.TXT & SIPDefault.cnf as these are the files the phone looks for when it boots up.

If you use tftpd32 it has a 'log view' and you can see the files that are being requested by the phone.

The SIPDefault.cnf file should have the following in (change the image name to match your downloaded)

SIPDefault.cnf file

##########################################################

# Image Version

image_version: "P0S3-07-5-00"

The OS79XX.TXT should have the following (again change according to your download):

P003-07-5-00

It worked for me on a 7940 and took me a morning of googling and re-trying with various downloads of different firmware. The phone will reboot twice during the process.

I am moving a number of 7940's from an old trix box (SIP) onto a new CUCM (SCCP). I need to upgrade to a new SIP firmware then to SCCP then plug into CUCM for a newer SCCP version!

Hope that helps!

Matty

Matty,

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to convert a 7962 which uses a different set of fw files (.sbn .loads) including a Java jar file.

Cisco seems to be backing away from the question ("tac only supports 7940/60") other than pointing to CCM.

I've got to believe this can be done somehow if the phone can be a standalone SIP device..

Steve