cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP 8841 with POE injector

JulianQM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I´m about to deploy one CP8841 IP phone. The problem es that at the client dont have a POE switch, so I came with the idea of install a POE injector only for this phone. The injector is IEEE 802.3af compliant and capable of deliver 12.4W.

This phone should work with this injector? or do I need a proper swich with POE?

Thanks for the help.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as long as device able to power on your cat cable connected to Switch, you are good to boot the device and use it.

only problem you may encounter some time required phone to reboot, manually viist the place or ask user to power cycle.

other than that i do not see any issue here

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am in a similar position.  No PoE available on the network switch, and no mains voltage supply available in this particular location (due to safety concerns) to be able to use the phone's PSU.

The electrical specifications label on the phone suggests it requires an input of 48v at 0.917A (e.g. 44W) - but this presumably refers the DC input socket rather than PoE?

I am looking at a PoE injector from TP-Link (TL-POE150S) which is described as IEE 802.3af standard.  However, the datasheet for that device states that it only delivers 15.4W which is 0.32A at 48v.

I am assuming that the phone's power requirements from a PSU and that from PoE are different, but I can find no reference in the 8841 datasheet to the PoE standard that it requires...  Can anyone tell me if an injector with the 802.3af PoE standard is adequate to operate this handset?