cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP78xx/3PCC syslog level

ondrej.holas
Level 1
Level 1

On configuration page of older products (SPA5xx) there are two types of syslog servers (syslog and debug) and numerical "debug level". In CP78xx (3PCC-multiplatform), there is only "syslog server" and drop-down list "debug level". Nevertheless, setting "debug level" to any of the offered values seems to have no effect - in all cases, syslog server receives big amount of messages up to and including severity 7 (debug) from the phone.

Documentation is a bit inconsistent, it mentions historic and now nonexistent "debug server" setting in the description of "syslog server" (...If both Debug Server and Syslog Server are specified, Syslog messages are also logged to the Debug Server.) and the "debug level" setting is described as numeric (0 to 2), although on configuration page it looks differently.

The situation is the same in all firmware versions we tried (11.1.1-MSR1-1 through 11.3.3).

So, what is the purpose of "debug level" setting and how could be syslog messages limited to defined severity/level?

Thanks.

Ondrej

2 Replies 2

Geovani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

I'm not sure about the SPA devices, but on MPP, Syslog server specifies where to send the logs to, so you can analyze them. 

Debug Level does what it says. It sets the debug to different levels. By default, its set to "NOTICE", so if you look at the logs, you'll see NOT, in front of every log line. DEBUG is the most comprehensive one, where you will see all the available logs for troubleshooting. 

This is consistent from 11.1 onwards.

Hi Geovani,

this is what I'd expect. But when I set "debug level" to "warning" (and reboot the phone to be sure that the setting applies everywhere), messages with lower severity (higher numeric severity) are still logged - I see many "info" messages (e.g. detailed dnsmasq's activity during DNS resolution) and even "debug" (syslog-dbus_manager::Sleeping 60 seconds), that are obviously intended for debugging purposes, useless in normal operation and should be logged only when appropriate debug level is requested.

Nevetrtheless, as I found out, setting "debug level" to "notice" adds some more messages (contents of SIP messages), so it seems that in the pohne there are internally two logging channels finally sent to syslog server, the first whose messages are sent always regardless of severity and the second filtered based on "debug level" setting.

Ondrej