Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE HA

I want to know why HA for CUBE Cisco recommended doing it using BOX-BOX redundancy and not with HSRP/VRRP with IP SLA to the WAN interface with ISP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Abdelrhman Elmenyawe 

With box-to-box redundancy, CUBE devices can synchronize stateful session information, allowing ongoing calls to be preserved during a failover. This is crucial for maintaining call continuity and reducing disruption for active sessions.

CUBE uses session replication between active and standby devices. This replication ensures that the standby device has the same call state information as the active one. In the event of a failover, the standby device seamlessly takes over the active sessions without call drops.

While HSRP/VRRP with IP SLA might offer fast failover times, they may not inherently address the stateful nature of real-time communication sessions handled by CUBE. The dedicated redundancy mechanisms provided by CUBE, including box-to-box redundancy, are optimized to address the unique challenges presented by SIP and other protocols.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Abdelrhman Elmenyawe 

CUBE maintains stateful session information for real-time communication protocols like SIP. Box-to-box redundancy ensures that both devices have synchronized session state information. In case of a failover, the standby box is aware of the active session states, providing a seamless transition.

While HSRP/VRRP with IP SLA can be used for general router redundancy, CUBE has specific requirements due to its role in handling real-time communication sessions.

Best regards

thanks sir for your response ,

but sorry I didn't understand.

let's imagine a running call through one CUBE and a failure occurs to this CUBE or at any point through the path to ISP from this CUBE,  the call will be terminated whatever method we are using for HA, and any initiated new call will be dealed with VIP interface 

so i really don't know what can box-to-box do more than VRRP for example, at least HSRP/VRRP are faster in failover.

With Cube HA you’ll won’t from what I understand loose the ongoing calls in the event of failure of the active node.

Response Signature

Hello Roger,

Just to confirm what I have understood from your response.

the media (ongoing call) through a cube which had then a failure, it will not got lost and will be processed by the second CUBE.

one last thing (in this scenario) does it matter using BOX-BOX redundant or VRRP with IP SLA?

With Cubes own HA functionality you’ll get call preservation. With other HA solutions you won’t. It’s as easy as that. Both me and M02@rt37 has given you this answer multiple times. Is it somehow that you don’t trust the answers you get?

Response Signature

@Abdelrhman Elmenyawe 

With box-to-box redundancy, CUBE devices can synchronize stateful session information, allowing ongoing calls to be preserved during a failover. This is crucial for maintaining call continuity and reducing disruption for active sessions.

CUBE uses session replication between active and standby devices. This replication ensures that the standby device has the same call state information as the active one. In the event of a failover, the standby device seamlessly takes over the active sessions without call drops.

While HSRP/VRRP with IP SLA might offer fast failover times, they may not inherently address the stateful nature of real-time communication sessions handled by CUBE. The dedicated redundancy mechanisms provided by CUBE, including box-to-box redundancy, are optimized to address the unique challenges presented by SIP and other protocols.

Best regards