cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 7.1(3) attach voicemail to email Imap?

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

We just upgraded from Unity version 4 to CUC 7.1(3) and everything has gone smoothly so far.  For various reasons, we have never enabled voicemail .wavs to be received in our outlook mailboxes.  There was one instance where when a voicemail was left at our helpdesk # (4567) an email notification was generated and sent to a specific email address which then sent a notification to a DLIST with the .wav attached (dont ask why).

Anyway, we are not ready to set up VM in our inboxes company wide quite yet. I need the following to happen:

caller calls help desk and leaves message

email notification is generated and sent to exchane dlist (this works fine so far)

the email needs the .wav voice mail attached to it.

Do i want to use imap? if so, how hard is this to setup? Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe that you can do this by first defining an SMTP smart host for the Unity Connection system.

Once this is complete, you should be able to create a user to accept the voicemail message you wish to forward.  Once created, you should be able to go to the message actions section for the user.

In the message actions section, you would change the action for a voicemail from accept the message, to relay the message, and add in the e mail address of the distribution alias you want to forward the message to.

I haven't tested this, but I think this should get you where you want to go.

View solution in original post

You will want to test this out as it actually involves 2 features in Unity Connection 7.x.  IMAP doesn't even play into this scenario.  If you want to know why, I can explain but for now I'll move on to your question.

Feature 1 - Receive an email, send an email notification to a person, group, etc (an email address in general).  This can be done via SMTP Notification.  You can choose to send an SMTP Notification to various devices and one is an email address.  This is a feature you can access as an admin and can also be accessed by users via PCA.

Feature 2 - Send email with attachment of message to an email address.  You need a Smart Host for this.  A Smart Host is a fancy way of saying an SMTP Relay host.  Your Relay host will need to trust the CUC server and it's domain and then have access to forward messages to the domains you want send messages to. CUC cannot send messages outside of it's domain so the SMTP Relay (Smart Host) is required.  There are 2 types of Relay options.  Please go to the following blog and read up on the two types and pro's and con's of each.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/695-voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html

Now I say you need to test this because the timing of how Message Relay works may affect if the SMTP Notification occurs at all OR if it occurs BEFORE the Message Relay.  I've not tested this for a customer who wants both so you should check out the behaviors first.  If you have questions, feel free to post back and I'll help as much as possible.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

okay, i got imap setup no problems.  Now I only have one problem left to solve.  Here is the scenario I need to happen:

Users sends email to helpdesk@mycompany.com

I need that message, with .wav file attached, to go out to a distribution list of the helpdesk techs.  Any ideas?

Your description of the problem is murkey.  You want to forward an e mail to a distribution list?

If the user is sending an e mail to an e mail address, then you simply need to go into your e mail server and set the e mail address in question as an alias for a distribution list.

yea, sorry, I did not do a very good job of describing the problem.  Yes, upon recieving a voicemail, i want an email alert sent to a particular email address (helpdesk@mycompany.com) which has a trigger in our exchagne server to get forwarded out to the entire helpdesk team via email, this all works fine.  The problem is we want the actual voicemail .wav file attached to the email that goes out to the entire team.  Since Unity 4 was windows based and used exchange, it was qutie easy to do. Now that we are using Linux and imap, im not sure how to make this work?  thanks

I believe that you can do this by first defining an SMTP smart host for the Unity Connection system.

Once this is complete, you should be able to create a user to accept the voicemail message you wish to forward.  Once created, you should be able to go to the message actions section for the user.

In the message actions section, you would change the action for a voicemail from accept the message, to relay the message, and add in the e mail address of the distribution alias you want to forward the message to.

I haven't tested this, but I think this should get you where you want to go.

You will want to test this out as it actually involves 2 features in Unity Connection 7.x.  IMAP doesn't even play into this scenario.  If you want to know why, I can explain but for now I'll move on to your question.

Feature 1 - Receive an email, send an email notification to a person, group, etc (an email address in general).  This can be done via SMTP Notification.  You can choose to send an SMTP Notification to various devices and one is an email address.  This is a feature you can access as an admin and can also be accessed by users via PCA.

Feature 2 - Send email with attachment of message to an email address.  You need a Smart Host for this.  A Smart Host is a fancy way of saying an SMTP Relay host.  Your Relay host will need to trust the CUC server and it's domain and then have access to forward messages to the domains you want send messages to. CUC cannot send messages outside of it's domain so the SMTP Relay (Smart Host) is required.  There are 2 types of Relay options.  Please go to the following blog and read up on the two types and pro's and con's of each.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/695-voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html

Now I say you need to test this because the timing of how Message Relay works may affect if the SMTP Notification occurs at all OR if it occurs BEFORE the Message Relay.  I've not tested this for a customer who wants both so you should check out the behaviors first.  If you have questions, feel free to post back and I'll help as much as possible.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks guys, that was exactly what i was looking for.  That totally made my day.  You guys rock!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: