Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC SIP Integration

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Everyone,

We have  CUC integrated with CUCM using SCCP. We plan to move from SCCP to SIP.

What would be the best strategy to accomplish this task with minimum downtime. Please note that the availability of voice mail is crucial for our business.

CUC version : 10.5 (HA)

CUCM Version :10.5

Thanks,

MK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it drives which path it takes to connect to voicemail.  So, once you make the changes calls to voicemail will be taking the SIP path rather than SCCP.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Ben Morgan
Level 3
Level 3

You can have both SIP and SCCP configured in parallel.

Configure a new Phone System in CUC.. follow all the required steps to complete the SIP trunk between CUCM and CUC.

I'd configure a new Pilot/profile for testing purposes, assign the profile to a test user in CUCM, then assign the new 'phone system' to this same user mailbox in CUC.

Once satisfied all is working well for the mailbox.. Do a bulk edit to start migrating mailboxes to the new 'phone system' in CUC. At the same time, performing a bulk edit for DNs, changing the Voicemail Profile in CUCM.

Thank you Ben. I appreciate your reply.

MK

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is very little to the conversion, simply create the SIP trunk(s)/Route Group/Route List on CUCM, create the integration on CUC as SIP along with the ports and tied to the existing phoneSystem and then delete the VM hunt pilot and create a route pattern with the same DN in the same partition pointing to the CUC Route List.

If you create both integration you may need to adjust voicemail profile on DNs, phone system changes on CUC and run into risk of over-subscribing on VM ports per your platform.

Thanks Chris & Ben,

Here's the approche I was thinking to take to migrate the CUC SCCP to SIP.

1) Cloning both Pub and Sub VM in the production and store them on the same production UCS with an isolated VLAN_LAB (let's call it a temp Lab). There's already a CUCM connected to VLAN_LAB

2) Deleting all SCCP configuration btw CUC and CUCM and starting the SIP integration in the temp Lab.

3) Going through the Test Plan in the temp Lab

4) Once ready, schedule a window to bring the servers from the temps Lab to production

5) In the production Pub (SCCP) --> Stop taking calls (Sub will take the calls)

6) Make the Sub primary

7) Shutdown the pub (SCCP) in production

8) Modify the VLAN_LAB of the CUC Pub (SIP) in the temp Lab for the production VLAN_PROD

9) Start the Pub (SIP) which will start in production

10) In the production Sub (SCCP) --> Stop taking calls (Pub (SIP) will take the calls)

11) Make the Pub (SIP) primary

12) Shutdown the Sub (SCCP) in production

13) Modify the VLAN_LAB of the CUC Sub (SCCP) in Lab for the production VLAN_PROD

14)Start the Sub (SIP) which will start in production

I may have some licensing issue with the servers in the temp lab but can be addressed with Cisco Licensing.

What you guys think?

Please note that the voicemail service cannot go down in our environnement. 

Thanks,

Mk

I made a mistake for step 10. Here it is:

10) Modify the VLAN_LAB of the CUC Sub (SIP) in Lab for the production VLAN_PROD

Thanks,

MK

Why would you want to spin up separate VMs to just change from SCCP to SIP?

It's really very simple task, all together taking few minutes to complete, plus some testing overhead.

I am thinking about the downtime.

Can you please send me the steps for your approach?

Thanks,

MK

First step is to configure the SIP Integration.. Configure a new phone system in CUC, as Chris mentioned you may run the risk of oversubscribing ports.. I'll leave that up to you to determine your concurrent port usage.

As per Cisco guide, configured SIP Trunk with appropriate SIP Profiles etc, Route Group, Route List and Route Pattern. Then create a VM Pilot and VM Profile.. do not make default just yet.

Now time for testing.. allocate a phone and mailbox for testing.. Assign the Mailbox to the new phone system just created in CUC.. Then assigned the DN of the phone to the VM Profile that has just been created.

Test VM Access and also leaving/retrieving messages. etc.

Once satisfied, plan for a minor disruption while you bulk edit mailboxes and assign to the new phone system in CUC. This bulk edit won't take long to complete.. maybe a few minutes max.

Then while the CUC bulk edit is running.. setup a CUCM bulk edit to assign the DN to the new VM Profile.. or if you have the Voicemail field set to Default.. then simply go to the new VM Profile you created and tick the set as Default checkbox.

Make a couple of more tests for sanity.. and should be done.. now just go through and cleanup the old SCCP config.

Be sure to change over the built-in system handlers aswell.. these will be using the SCCP setup. again this is just a matter of assigning the handler to the new phone system configured.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking the time and detailing the steps. However, I am having hard time to make our management team to approve this approach.

It looks like they are more aligned with my own approach which involves zero downtime.

Thanks again,

MK

Hi Chris,

Could you please let me know why would I need to delete the CUC hunt pilot in CUCM?

if I delete the voice mail pilot, what am I going to associate with voice mail profile?

I will create a route pattern with the same DN (hunt pilot) in the same partition pointing to the CUC Route List.

Thanks,

MK

Because with SIP integration you do not use hunting to deliver calls to unity, you use Route Pattern --> RL --> RG --> Trunk(s).  So, the Hunt Pilot needs to be deleted and defined as a Route pattern as route pattern cannot be shared with hunt pilot. Basically the VM Pilot DN needs to redirect the call to the Route Pattern instead of Hunt Pilot.

So, I can delete the hunt pilot and associate the newly created route pattern to the existing voice mail profile and in CUC keep the existing phone system, delete the port groupe/ports and create a new SIP port group/ports, right?

Thanks,

MK

You do not associate voicemail profile with Route pattern, you associate it with VM Pilot, then the voicemail pilot has a CSS applied to it which needs to route to specific system, if SCCP then it needs to point to hunt pilot, if SIP then route pattern.  Thus you need to ensure that CSS can reach the partition of the RP.

In CUC you just re-create the port group as SIP and you are done.

So, what will happen to the voice mail profile associated with each phone? We have about 8000 phones.

Thanks,

MK