Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1(5) to 8.6 Bridge Upgrade MCS to UCS

gpsriramdc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

We planned to upgrade CUCM cluster to 8.6 from 7.1.5.We have 10 servers in the cluster.

My current publisher & some of the subscriber will not compatible with  CUCM 8.6.So we have to follow bridge upgrade.

When i upgrade my publisher to 8.x version ( to support DRS in UCS) before collect the DRS whether we have to upgrade all the Nodes to 8.x ?

DRS only collect the backup from active Node.When i collect the back-up only from publisher & upload it UCS is going cause any loss of data ?

Please suggest.

Path 1 :

1) Install the 7.1.5  Publisher on  bridge upgrade hardware

2) Restore the 7.1.5 DRS on bridge upgrade hardware

3)Upgrade the Publisher to 8.X

4)Take the DRS

5) Install the 8.X on UCS

6) Restore the 8.X DRS

7) Install all other Servers directly on UCS

Path 2 :

1) Install the 7.1.5  Publisher on  bridge upgrade hardware

2) Restore the 7.1.5 DRS on bridge upgrade hardware

3)Replace the Subsciber with bridge upgrade hardware to support 8.x

4)Upgrade the Publisher to 8.X

5) Upgrade all other Nodes to 8.X ( Cluster)

6) Take the DRS

7) Install the 8.X on UCS

8) Restore the 8.X DRS

9) Install all other Servers directly on UCS

If path 2 is supported one i have to use bridge hardware for nodes which all not supported for 8.X

Thanks in Advance

4 Replies 4

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Gpsriramdc,

Please refer the below link, and the section "Bridge Upgrade",

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_6_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1119088

Also please refer the below link on "Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.6(1)"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/cluster/clstr861.html

Procedure

Step 1 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your discontinued first node (publisher) server. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do. Observe the warning on the console that tells you that the only  thing you can do with the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager  version is to perform a DRS backup ("This hardware has limited  functionality. Backup and Restore is the only supported  functionality.").

Step 2 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your subsequent node (subscriber) servers. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do.

Step 3 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtime state and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

Step 4 Using  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your  discontinued first node server, perform a DRS backup. The DRS backups  are encrypted using the cluster security password provided at install  time. You must remember this security password as the "old" password,  because you may be prompted to enter this "old" password at the time of  restore. Refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 5 Disconnect your discontinued server from the network.

Step 6 Install  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new  supported first node server. You must obtain and install a new license  on this server. Refer to the guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You will be prompted to enter a "new" security password, a password that is different from the "old" password you noted in Step 4. The guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager describes the requirements of a "new" security password that Cisco  Unified Communications Manager will accept. You must remember this "new"  security password.

Step 7 Using the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new supported first node server, perform the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide procedure "Restoring the First Node only (Rebuilding the Publisher  Alone)". First, select only select the first node for restore. You can  only select the subsequent nodes for restore after the completion of  first node restore. Use the discontinued server's backup file that you  created in Step 4. You will be prompted for the "old" security password that you noted in Step 4. For further details, refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 8 On  your new supported first node server, reactivate all services that used  to be active on your discontinued first node server before the bridge  upgrade. Refer to the Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Serviceability.

Step 9 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtime state and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

-----------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts !!

Hi Anand,

Thanks for the Info. I need some more clarifications.

My Pub is MCS7845I2-K9-CMB1 which is having 72 GB HDD , 4 GB RAM. This server not support for 8.6 & having insufficient memory.

When i install the 8.6 it will detect hardware type & considerd as bridge upgrade ?

If it support to install 8.6 whether we have to follow the same instructions as like RU procedure.

Thanks.

Hi Gpsriramdc,

Please refer the below link, please look out for "MCS7845I2-K9-CMB1" and in the column "Cis-co Uni-fied CM 8.6(x)", which has B(5), which means as stated below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

• "B" means the server is only supported for "bridged upgrade," as described in footnote 5

(5) Supported only for "bridged upgrade" to  migrate to newer hardware. In a bridged upgrade, you upgrade to the  specified Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, make a backup of  your software configuration via the Disaster Recovery System utility,  reinstall the Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on new  hardware, and restore your software configuration from backup. This  server is not supported for any other use with Cisco Unified  Communications Manager other than this "bridged upgrade" procedure.

Please rate all the helpful posts by clicking on the stars below the right answers !!

Hope this helps.

Anand

Thanks a lot for your clarifications.. & indeed support.