Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.0 - G729 phones not getting MOH

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I am working on installing g729 phones in our environment and they seem to be working fine;

1) Calling any G711 phone

2) Recieving calls from PSTN

3) Recieving calls from CRS 5.0

However, they can not recieve MOH when two g729 phones call each other and place each other on hold.  When a g711 phone calls a g729 phone, the g711 phone will recieve MOH when placed on hold, but the g729 phone will only recien Tone On Hold when placed on hold.  I suspect that the MOH stream needs to be transcoded to accomodate the g729 phone, but when I add a transcoder to the MOH server's MRGL through its assigned Device Pool, it doesn't work.  Am I missing a piece of this puzzle?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check and see if under the IP Voice Media Streaming App service parameters you enabled g729 as an MoH codec.  Adding a transcoder to the mix would help too, as long as the relationship between the MoH server (likely g711 only right now) and the transcoder is 711 on one side and the transcoder and phone is g729.  Also remember that the transcoder will be allocated from the MoH server's MRGL which is set on it's device pool.

View solution in original post

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

By default G729 is not enabled for MOH.  To enable it, go to System > Service Parameters > IP Voice Media Stream App and hold control and select both G729 and G711.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Shikamarunara,

Nope you don't need a transcoder to play G729 MOH.  As long as the service parameter is set it will send MOH audio as G729 to the devices that are requesting it.  Certain audio files may sound distorted as they were sampled for G711, however if that doesn't effect your users you can go ahead and use G729.

HTH,

Chris

8 Replies 8

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check and see if under the IP Voice Media Streaming App service parameters you enabled g729 as an MoH codec.  Adding a transcoder to the mix would help too, as long as the relationship between the MoH server (likely g711 only right now) and the transcoder is 711 on one side and the transcoder and phone is g729.  Also remember that the transcoder will be allocated from the MoH server's MRGL which is set on it's device pool.

Faster then me!

You both get points

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

By default G729 is not enabled for MOH.  To enable it, go to System > Service Parameters > IP Voice Media Stream App and hold control and select both G729 and G711.

HTH,

Chris

Chris/Joe,

Thanks, I forgot about setting it at the service.  Question - do I need to reset the IP Voice Streaming service when I apply the change?  I just tried it and wasn't getting anything (no MOH or TOH).  My other question is; do I even need to add a hardware transcoder for this on the MOH server's MRG?

Ah, okay, I needed to reset the service.  Now it's working fine.  Still, do I need a hardware transcoder for this?

Hi Shikamarunara,

Nope you don't need a transcoder to play G729 MOH.  As long as the service parameter is set it will send MOH audio as G729 to the devices that are requesting it.  Certain audio files may sound distorted as they were sampled for G711, however if that doesn't effect your users you can go ahead and use G729.

HTH,

Chris

That's perfect.  Thanks, Chris.