Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9 Migration to CUCM 11

Hey,

Could you please share best practice doc for migrating CUCM 9 to CUCM 11 ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

1) You do not need to invest additional cost for PCD. its free.

2) Yes you can follow the upgrade and migration doc for 11.5 and proceed with the RU.

Please keep the following things in mind:

if 9.X on MCS

if 9.X on Virtual Machine

COP files required before upgrading to 11.5

Please rate and mark correct if helpful

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

In order to answer your question we need to establish few points.

1) Are you upgrading or Migrating from 9 to 11?

(upgrade: existing server will upgrade to 11, migrate: a new cluster of 11 would be formed with existing cucm's database)

2) if Migrating (as mentioned by you), you can use PCD (Prime collaboration Deployment) to do a simple or network migration.

(simple: Using the source node settings for all destination nodes option is called a simple migration, network:Entering new network settings for one or more destination nodes is called a network migration.)

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Thanks Adarsh for quick response.

We are looking for upgrading CUCM 9.X to CUCM 11 . 

1. We do not want to invest in PCD as i assume we need to buy license for PCD. Please confirm.

2. Do we have any other option except PCD like RU upgrade ? Could you please point me in detailed doc ?

Hi,

1) You do not need to invest additional cost for PCD. its free.

2) Yes you can follow the upgrade and migration doc for 11.5 and proceed with the RU.

Please keep the following things in mind:

if 9.X on MCS

if 9.X on Virtual Machine

COP files required before upgrading to 11.5

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Thanks, Adarsh!

Hey Wilson and Adarsh,

Just few quick questions.

1. What is rollback option with PCD upgrade option from CUCM 9.1.2 to CUCM 11.0.1? In doc, it says just switch over to previous version in in-active version .

2. Do we need COP files installed on CUCM 9.1.2 ? I assume PCD will automatically install those COP files . Although i can see RSA Key 3 COP file already on my CUCM 9.1.2 .

3. Do i need to stop Extension mobility and TFTP services for 5000 end user migration ? Same case with increase replication database time for 5000 end users ?

4. If i stop extension mobility before upgrade and start it after upgrade then my existing users will be logged out from phones or they will remain maintain old status before migration ?

5. Vcenter mandatory for CUCM 11 ? We are using UCS C220 M3 . Cisco Doc says that if you are using TRC then there is no need of Vcenter for CUCM 11. Correct ?

6. Unity connection use the same method of upgrade through PCD ?

A clarification, PCD is indeed free, BUT you do require to meet the ESXi licensing that is required to use PCD.

A PCD upgrade is 90% the exact same procedure you would do manually, the only difference is you upload the ISO to PCD, and PCD will kickstart the procedure, nothing else.

You can still switch back to the old partition as in any other upgrade.

No, PCD will not install anything automatically because it's required, it doesn't do any pre-req checks to make sure it can upgrade the system, that's something YOU need to do and make sure you've done all the pre-upgrade steps that are outlined in the upgrade/migration guide. ie If your upgrade requires V3 RSA keys, and you do not manually install them, or configure a PCD task to install it, when you configure the PCD upgrade task, PCD will just attempt to upgrade and will not know the V3 keys are missing, and it will fail. Same thing if you need to adjust the VM specs, change the OS, or the vNIC, those are all things PCD won't do.

The two docs you need to thoroughly review are:

A) Upgrade guide

B) Release notes

ALL of the requirements, changes, procedure, pre-reqs, etc. Are contained in those two docs. If you have not reviewed them already, that is your very first step.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Adarsh for help.