cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME basic

umsale001
Level 1
Level 1

hey all! i am kind of a noobie when it comes to cisco VOIP so please excuse my basic question here..

we have a CUCME 8 setup in our office and i was wondering how can i know what protocal are we using i.e. SCCP or SIP?

Another question, we have two IP Phones 7962 which are supported on my CME 8 but when I connect them they don’t take the right time from the system like all other phones i.e. 7960 series do.

Is it because my CME doesn’t have the firmware for 7962?

thanks in advance!

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Umair,

This "Time" problem is not an uncommon issue that should be quite fixable

Troubleshooting Incorrect Time Stamp on IP Phones in Cisco Unified CME

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/troubleshooting/guide/ts_time.html#wp1053981

After changing the time-zone setting you could follow these steps.

Usage Guidelines

This command works with the vendorConfig section of the Sep*.conf.xml configuration file, which is read by the phone firmware when the Cisco IP Phone is booted up. Certain phones, such as the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7906 , 7911, 7931, 7941, 7942, 7945, 7961, 7962, 7965, 7970 , 7971, and 7975, obtain Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) from the clock of the Cisco router. To display the correct local time, the time display on these phones must be offset by using this command.

This command is not required for Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G, 7905G, 7912G, 7920, 7921, 7935, 7936, 7940, 7960, or 7985G.

For changes to the time-zone settings take effect, the Sep*.conf.xml file must be updated by using the create cnf-files command and the Cisco IP phones must rebooted by using the reset command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_t1ht.html#wp1023398

under the telephony-service -

no create cnf-files

create cnf-files

Then reboot the individual phones

To determine if the phones are running SCCP (99% do) or SIP;

show ephone phone-load command

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9461

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Rob!

I followed the troubleshooting the incorrect time stamp and found that i had the wrong timezone set but the correct NTP server. I corrected the time zone and now i am getting the correct time on my 7962 IP Phone. But i don't have the firmware for 7962 in my flash nor do i have the load command in my telephony-service as below are the only two load commands i have in telephony-service:

load 7914 S00105000200

load 7960-7940 P00308000400

Would it be any problem if i don't have the firmware for 7962 phone?

As for determining if the phones are running SCCP or SIP, if i enter "show ephone phone-load" command i get the list of all my iphones with their MAC address and versions loaded i.e. 8.0 (4.0). All the MAC addressess have "SEP" in the begining so i don't know if that specifies anything.

Thanks a lot Rob for your help; really appreciate!

Hi Umair,

You may be running "default" firmware on your 7962's. Try this;

- from the phone itself press the "settings" button (checkbox)

- scroll down to Model information and select

- look for "Load File" if it shows SCCP42.x-x-x then you are running SCCP

Cheers!

Rob

Rob, it says SCCP so its fine.

Btw, what about this part ?

"But i don't have the firmware for 7962 in my flash nor do i have the  load command in my telephony-service as below are the only two load  commands i have in telephony-service:

load 7914 S00105000200

load 7960-7940 P00308000400

Would it be any problem if i don't have the firmware for 7962 phone?"

Thanks again Rob!

Hello Rob,

so does it mean that not having a firmware for my 7962 won't effect the operation of the phone ?

thanks!

Hi Umair,

Well...the files for the 7962 must be somewhere (maybe slot0) but may not

have been defined using this command;

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)#load 7962 SCCP42.x-x-x.loads

Have a read through this doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeinstl.html#wp1070512

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Rob,

I think you seem to have missed the point where i said that i don't have the firmware for 7962 on my flash and hence wanted to know if would ran into any problem for not having the firmware loaded. So far the phone is working perfectly fine.

Thanks again!

Hi Umair,

From what I can gather your phone is functioning, your cme is not specifying firmware load, and you don't have firmware files on cme. Your question is "is this a problem". The answer is yes. For this one phone, it may seem all is well. The phone is running the factory installed firmware and the cme isn't configured to prefer something else.

The possible problems:

1. There is a possibility that the firmware you are running is incompatible with cme or buggy. You haven't told us the firmware that is loaded so we can't answer you directly. I can say that factory default firmware is usually a problem.

2. If you add a new 7962 phone, it may run it's default firmware which may be different than the firmware on other 7962 phones. Placing phone firmware on the cme and configuring the cme to serve said firmware helps with the whole consistency and stability thing.

I recommend that you check you phone using Rob's instructions. Use that information and go on cisco.com to check cme compatibility and look for updates/bug search. Settle on what version you want to run in production. Then use the great link that Rob provided (+5 Huff) and configure cme to control the firmware system wide.

Hth.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hello William,

I executed the show ephone phone-load command and i get "SCCP42.8-3-3SR2S" assoicated with the mac-address of the 7962 phone which i believe is phone's own mac-address.