cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Desk Radio over VOIP Phone

bradley.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

I had a request today to provide the ability for a user to listen to a local radio broadcast over their VOIP Phone.

The local broadcast itself would be 'digitized' using a 3.5mm input into an FXO port and probably multicast broadcast from there.

What solutions would there be to have a user dial into "something" and listen to the broadcast at their desk?

I think that using software conferencing would be infeasible resource wise.  If I was to assume 50 users wanted to use this feature, then I would have to increase the ad-hoc conferencing max participants to accommodate (which would totally eat up the available software conferencing resources).

Could you call a number and configure it to automatically put you on hold, and leverage MoH? 

Maybe leverage the call queuing feature and not have any agents online?

Apparently this was an option on a PBX this client previously used. 

Thanks in advance for any insight and ideas.

Brad.

1 Reply 1

bradley.mcrae
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if you could create an IP Phone service which would just listen for/play the multicast stream?  This would take most of the onus off of call control for resources (active calls and conferencing).  I've never done this and don't really know where to start.