Views
Helpful
Replies

dial peers scenarios

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

I am trying to understand when we need dial peers . My focus is only voip dial peers right now.

Case 1:

ipphone1-----sw-----CME---sw---router--Wan---router----sw----ipphone2.

Both ipphones are registered with CME. Since both are registered with CME, CME has already virtual dial peers which are created without explicit configurations. In this case therefore we do not need to configure dial peers.

case 2

ipphone1----sw--CME1---sw----router-----wan----router----sw-CME2--ipphone2

EXT:2001                                                                                  (EXT:2002)

Above both CME1 and CME2 are independent i.e they are not acting as a backup for each other.  For example If for some reason CME2 is down, ipphone2 is not allowed to register with CME1. Similarly if CME1 is down, ipphone1 is not allowed to register with CME2.

Above ipphone1 is registered with its local CME1 while ipphone2 is registered with iits local CME2.

Above we need to configure dial peer for destination pattern 2002 on CME1 because CME1 does not know how to reach this particular extension because ipphone2 is not registered with CME1. By configuring dial peer for destination pattern 2001 on CME, we are giving CME1 intelligence as to how to reach extension 2001.

Similarly, CME2 has no way knowing how to reach extension 2001 of ipphone1 because ipphone1 is not registered with CME2. Therefore we need to configure dial peer for destination pattern 2001 on CME2 so CME@ can reach extension 2001.

Is my understanding correct ?

thanks and have a great weekend.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding. Outbound VOIP dialpeers would be needed on both CME1 and CME2 with the destination pattern as well as session target ipv4 statements as a bare minimum. VOIP dialpeers are H323 dialpeers by default. If you wanted to use SIP protocol, then you would need to configure "session protocol" command to achieve this.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding. Outbound VOIP dialpeers would be needed on both CME1 and CME2 with the destination pattern as well as session target ipv4 statements as a bare minimum. VOIP dialpeers are H323 dialpeers by default. If you wanted to use SIP protocol, then you would need to configure "session protocol" command to achieve this.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Thanks Harmit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: