Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt about SLB configuration in CallManager 7.1.5

wilsonsant
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Guys,

We are implementing the one solution with 02 CallManagers and Extension Mobility functionality. This scenario will work with redundancy, but, if I not configure SLB the EM not is working when the CallManager Publisher down. My question is: Who is configure SLB in CallManager 7.1.5? If I put in the service EM the IP virtual already sufficient or is there another things to do?

Thanks,

Wilson

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At the CUCM level, just configure the EM service with the virtual IP address + configure the enterprise parameter"URL services" with the virtual IP address.

Pierre.

View solution in original post

The "Enterprise Parameters (URL parameters)" is only used when you push the "Services" button on the IP phone.

If you configure a SURL on a phone button, you don't push on the service button on the phone and therefore the "Enterprise Parameters (URL parameters)" doesn't apply in that case.

"Bear in mind that redundancy of EM takes in effect only when you login   or logout of EM i.e. when you push on the EM1 or EM2 phone button."

What I mean is that EM redundancy only applies when you login or logout of EM. If you are logged in, you stay logged in. If you are logged out, you stay logged out.

Pierre.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At the CUCM level, just configure the EM service with the virtual IP address + configure the enterprise parameter"URL services" with the virtual IP address.

Pierre.

Hi Pierre,

Thank You for your help.

Wilson

Hi Pierre,

About the information that you pass for me, Do you already opportunity of configure this scenario in laboratory or your Customer? My co-worker open a one case in the Cisco and the engineer inform to him that is necessary the another equipament aditional: ACE or another equipament that have IOS to SLB.

Thanks,

Wilson

Wilson,

I've already configured EM redundancy.

There are several ways to do it:

1)You can assign configure 2 EM services on the phone. One is pointing to Sub1 and one to Sub2.

If Sub1 is down, you just select the second service on the phone which is pointing to Sub2.

This solution is not very convenient

2) You can use DNS round robin.

You configure the EM service with a name. In your DNS, for such name you have 2 entries in a round robin.

This solution is not also very convenient since if the first server is down, the DNS will time out and them provide the IP address of the second server.

DNS takes more than 1 minute to timeout. One of my customer is using that one.

3) IOS SLB.

This requires an external device to perform the SLB like an router with IOS or another SLB device.

I think the IOS SLB feature is not anymore supported.

The EM service is configured with the virtual IP address of the SLB.

4) ACE SLB

One of my customer is using that one. You need to have also an external device (Catalyst switch with an ACE module configure for SLB).

The ACE will track the server availability with different mecanisms like ping.

The EM service is configured with the virtual IP address of the ACE module.

Pierre.

Hello Pierre,

For the first option (two EM services on the same phone), is it possible to set the respective server IP address in Phone URL Parameters?
The publisher Enterprise configuration is not going to be replicated to the subscriber?

Regards,

Henrique Ferreira

Here is the way to configure it.

You create 2 EM services (EM1 and EM2) with :

device > device settings > phnoe services

EM1 will point to the IP address of the Publisher and EM2 will point to the IP address of a Subscriber running CCM and EM services.

Then, on a specific phone, you create 2 phones buttons SURL (Service URL), one for  EM1 and one for EM2.

If for any reason, your Publisher is down, you will have to use the EM2 phone button to login/logout of EM.

Bear in mind that redundancy of EM takes in effect only when you login or logout of EM i.e. when you push on the EM1 or EM2 phone button.

Pierre.

Thanks for the explanation, buy i didn't get very well this part:

Bear in mind that redundancy of EM takes in effect only when you login  or logout of EM i.e. when you push on the EM1 or EM2 phone button.

I know the configuration but my doubt is when I configure the Enterprise Parameters (URL parameters) on the publisher, it is not going to be replicated (the same values) to the subscriber Enteprise Parameters? If the url settings are replicated, EM won't work in the subscriber.

I ask you that because I dont have 2 callmanagers working as primary and secondary in my lab.

Thanks again!

Henrique

The "Enterprise Parameters (URL parameters)" is only used when you push the "Services" button on the IP phone.

If you configure a SURL on a phone button, you don't push on the service button on the phone and therefore the "Enterprise Parameters (URL parameters)" doesn't apply in that case.

"Bear in mind that redundancy of EM takes in effect only when you login   or logout of EM i.e. when you push on the EM1 or EM2 phone button."

What I mean is that EM redundancy only applies when you login or logout of EM. If you are logged in, you stay logged in. If you are logged out, you stay logged out.

Pierre.

Thank you very much! Now I understood how this solution must configured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: