cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EM Redundancy

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

We are looking to implement load balancing for the EM service however we seen a result which does not make sense to me at least . I created a EM service pointing to SUB1 only , then I stopped the service via the feature service option. I then used Wireshark to monitor the requests. I discovered

1. I could still log in and out  of the phone - The only EM service I used was to SUB1

2. Wireshark still showed SUB1 as part of the HTTP messages

The above surprised me in that I thought that the request would fail but it seems that CUCM itself provides some sort of redundancy IF EM is activated on other servers.

Would   EM  fail If I shut down the physical server instead, has anyone else seen this?

thanks

1 Reply 1

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Just to add from Wireshark it seems the initial request is to the pub which replies back with the IP address of the EM Servers

http://x.x.x.x:8080/ccmcip/getservicesmenu.jsp

Can you run the above service on multiple Servers?

Alternatively has anyone used the setting below

IP Phone Proxy Address:

This parameter specifies a proxy server name or address and port (for example, proxy.cisco.com:8080). If the proxy server is specified, the Cisco IP Phones use it to request all URLs. Leave this setting blank for the phones to attempt to connect directly to all URLs. If a name is used instead of an IP address, configure phones with valid DNS servers to allow name to IP resolution. Confirm that the proxy server is listening at the destination that is specified.

It looks like you can make use of this URL in the way I would want to however when I tired it it failed. I deleted the URL services and added the proxy address but when pressing the service keys nothing happened, added the url back again it worked so I probably did something wrong?