Views
Helpful
Replies

GD Sectera Viper phone on VG310?

tina.hopper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all:

Have some Vipers that are analog currently, and am asked to keep them on analog.  The site is moving to CUCM in the next few weeks; we plan on using VG310's (MGCP) for our faxes and other analog lines.  Is it possible to use an analog Viper off an MGCP port on the VG310 while the PSTN gateway (also MGCP, T1 PRI) is configured for V.150.1? 

I realize there is no mention of this setup in the V.150.1 MER or V.150.1 with CUCM guide.  We have other Vipers at other sites registered as SCCP 7960's but those are, of course, not using analog.  Just need to know if this is possible or if this configuration is in use somewhere before we cut the entire site over...

TIA

5 Replies 5

VG310 port can be configured  as MGCP or SCCP. If connected phone is analogue, brand doesn't matter. You can connect any analogue phones to the VG 310 FXS ports.

Regarding V.150.1 MER or V.150.1 have a look on below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/12_5_1/cucm_b_security-guide-1251/cucm_b_security-guide-1251_chapter_011100.html

Response Signature

Right, I realize that I can put any analog phone onto the VG310.

I suppose my specific question is - given that I need to configure the MGCP PSTN gateway for modem relay (we have this set up at another location, working perfectly, but with the Viper as 7960 SCCP per the guide), if I have a Viper phone connected to an FXS port on a VG310 configured MGCP...would the MGCP v.150.1 config still exist only on the MGCP PSTN gateway, or would I need to add additional/same v.150.1 commands to the MGCP VG310? 

Phrased a different way - does the Viper phone have to be SCCP on CUCM, either on the FXS/VG310 or as 7960 SCCP?  

Per Cisco's documentation and my experience, this work:

Viper A 7960 SCCP --> MGCP modem-relay v.150. PSTN --> Viper B

Our setup will add additional MGCP registration in the middle, should the VG310 be SCCP?

Viper A --> Analog FXS port on VG310 MGCP to CUCM --> MGCP modem-relay v.150 PSTN --> Viper B

I could be overthinking this, and I suppose ultimately I'll find out when we cut the site over, but I just want to make sure we don't waste additional time during the cut trying to get the Viper to work on analog when the requirements are additional/changed due to it being analog on MGCP registered VG310.

TIA

Were you able to resolve this?  I have issues where I can get the 2 Vipers to connect, but they don't go secure.

Thanks,

Bryan

What you mean with "they don't go secure"?
If you connect analoge phones to FXS via MGCP, then you need to secure the MGCP traffic as described here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118886-config-mgcp-00.html

I can call from one analog viper to another analog viper and answer and have a clear conversation.  However, when I press the secure button on either viper, it tries to establish a secure connection, but never does.  I don't have an issue when calling from an analog STE to an analog viper.  Those go secure without issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: