cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GSM module for Cisco 3845

Rafael Hengky
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any GSM module for Cisco 3845? If there is, please give me the part number. Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Giuseppe,

Thank you for replying. So HWIC-3G-HSPA is the replacement for HWIC-3G-GSM? And this supposed to be compatible with Cisco 3845 right?

Our customer have the need to reduce their telephone expenses. So they are hoping that they can reduce it by having the same operator calls (e.g. GSM module A for calling to Operator A numbers, and so on), since it's cheaper to do so in our country. Is it correct that all they need is GSM modules for their Cisco 3845? Or they need something else to be planted or configured on their CUCM too? They are using CUCM 8.6 Business edition.

View solution in original post

No, the modules above are for data, not voice calls.

You need to buy an external voice GSM gateway, Cisco doesn't make these, but there are many types available from other vendors.

Note this is the wrong forum, question goes to "Voice - IP Telephony". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello Giuseppe,

Thank you for replying. So HWIC-3G-HSPA is the replacement for HWIC-3G-GSM? And this supposed to be compatible with Cisco 3845 right?

Our customer have the need to reduce their telephone expenses. So they are hoping that they can reduce it by having the same operator calls (e.g. GSM module A for calling to Operator A numbers, and so on), since it's cheaper to do so in our country. Is it correct that all they need is GSM modules for their Cisco 3845? Or they need something else to be planted or configured on their CUCM too? They are using CUCM 8.6 Business edition.

No, the modules above are for data, not voice calls.

You need to buy an external voice GSM gateway, Cisco doesn't make these, but there are many types available from other vendors.

Note this is the wrong forum, question goes to "Voice - IP Telephony". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Could you suggest a brand and the model of external voice GSM gateway that works perfectly with above Cisco devices? And where do I attached this external voice gateway? Is it to the 3845 or to the CUCM?

Cisco has a list of "approved" devices, sorry I don't have with me and I don't even know if it is published. Anyway, any good brand device will work.

If the device has ISDN BRI interface, it will be connecte to router also having ISDN BRI interface.

Otherwise if it has Ethernet interface, will be connected to any switch, and CUCM will use it as SIP trunk.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

You want a GSM Gateway (Google is your friend here). These typically take a number of SIMs, and then connect to your phone system via FXO, ISDN or SIP.

You should check your local laws about using GSM gateways. In my neck of the woods, the mobile carriers dislike them and do their best to stop you using them. (but they are not technically illegal here)

You should look at things like SIP trunks. Some SIP providers can provide very good mobile rates. When doing your cost comparison, don't forget to factor in your time to install & manage the gateway.

Finally, if you're using a GSM gateway, you may have issues with the calling number that's sent out. Again, regulations & carrier policies vary from country to country.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thank you all for your answers. Now I have more understanding than before. The next step is to find external GSM gateway..