Views
Helpful
Replies

How to encypt the internal traffic for all phones

Yazen Alaa
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I have CUCM 8.5 , the customer wants to encrypt all internal traffic for all phones ??? how ??? it is recoomeded ???

thanks and regards

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not recommended unless really, really necessary and mandated. Unless you are UC certified, especially if you are the end user, do not try "do it yourself", to avoid unpleasant situations.

However, It is explained in the product documentation.

thanks paolo for your answer

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Paolo stated this is not to be taken lightly. This is one of those situations where you really want someone who's done mixed mode CUCM clusters before; there are a lot of gotchas to this.

With that said the document to start with would be the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Security Guide. It's critical that you understand how things will work in a mixed mode cluster. A few FAQ that arrise when reading that doc:

• Do I really need the pair of hardware security tokens? Yes, a minimum of two.
  • What happens if I lose them? You're screwed and will have to touch every phone manually. Put one in the same place you put your backup tapes or a safety deposit box.
  • Can't I use the MIC instead of generating LSCs? Not recommended. Cisco specifically says not to trust the MIC beyond CAPF enrollment.
  • What happens when the LSC expires? You'll need to re-enroll it through CCM Admin. The phone does *not* auto-renew it's certificate.
  • What happens when a server certificate expires (e.g. cucm-tftp)? You must renew it and then re-run the CTL Client to update the CTL file. You'll need one of the hardware tokens to sign the updated file.
  • How does this impact performance/scale/bandwidth? Every call will consume more bandwidth for SRTP; re-run all of your WAN QoS calculations. PSTN gateway and media resource (e.g. conferencing) are typically cut in half from a performance perspective. IPVMSA (aka software MTP/Conf on CUCM nodes) does not support encryption.
  • How do I get application X to support SRTP? Frequently you can't. An easy example of this is Contact Center Express which doesn't support it. Read the documentation of every product deployed before proceeding.
  • What about Jabber? Not yet supported. Even when it is be wary of users who roam from one computer to the next. The LSC is stored on the PC and must roam with the user (i.e. Windows Roaming Profiles).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan

first of ll thanks for your reply

Do you have Security Document or link that showing me how to encyrpt the traffic for all phones step by step ??

As i understood when i read,  it is better to use CTL by using Mixed mode, what are the configuration steps in CUCM ?

where can i install CTL ??

how the  TFTP /CUCM connect with CTL server  ???

what is the critical issue can i face when i use CTL encryption ??? becasue I didnt configure  encrypting the traffic for phones for phones before .

please update me ASAP

thanks and regards