Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset the voicemail & greetings password for 7965 IP Phone

KM2018
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to reset the voicemail and greetings password. Checked few documents & discussion in Cisco community to reset the same. 

Followed below steps but now phone is not even proceeding with the upgrade.

It is just hanging up in CISCO LOGO home screen & restart continuously . 

Any suggestions or help to recover my phone and reset the password ? 

Procedure :

• Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.
  • The phone begins its power up cycle.
  • Step 2 Immediately press and hold # while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons turn on and off in sequence.
  • Release # after the Speaker button turns off.
  • The Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons flash in sequence to indicate that the phone is waiting for you to enter the key sequence for the reset.
  • Step 3 Press 123456789*0# within 60 seconds after the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash.
  • If you repeat a key within the sequence (for example, if you press 1223456789*0#), the sequence will still be accepted and the phone will reset.
  • If you do not complete this key sequence or do not press any keys, the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons will stop flashing after 60 seconds and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.
  • If you enter an invalid key sequence, the buttons will stop flashing immediately and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.
5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you did has absolutely nothing with what you were trying to achieve, the voicemail settings are not on the phone. That would be handled in your actual voicemail system.

Make sure DHCP is configured, you're pointing to a call control with all the configuration files for that device, and that has the necessary FW for it.

If you're an end user, reach out to your support/IT team for assistance.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

As Jaime pointed out, what you did was reset the Cisco IP Phone itself and not the voicemail password.

First, let's get your phone back online. The symptoms you are describing with the logo-only on the display and the endless cycling tells me you might be running into a 2-stage firmware upgrade problem.

Questions:
What model phone is this?
What version of CUCM (or are you running CUCM Express)?

Maren

Hi,

Yes, I understood that but I found only those steps in previous discussions to reset it.

Answers :

1. 7965 model phones

2.  we use very very old version - Cisco unity express - 7.0 

Thanks in advance 

BR

KM 

To get your phone back online, you will need to perform a two-stage firmware upgrade. Because of a change in the Cisco Certificates used to sign the firmware, phones whose factory-firmware is pre-8.3(3) must be upgraded to a firmware version in the range 8.3(3) - 8.5(2), then you can upgrade to whatever the version is you are running with your CCME installation.

Here is a link to upgrading firmware with CCME. The equipment mentioned in the document is a little old, but the procedure is the same in current IOS and CCME versions:

Upgrade IP Phone Firmware with CCME

As for changing/resetting the password in CUE 7.0, here is a link to the "Windows and Menus" chapter of the Administration Guide which shows the screen where this is done:

Cisco Unity Express 7.0 GUI Administrator Guide - Windows and Menus

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Maren

@Maren Mahoney 

Thanks for quick reply !!!

I dont see any option to reset the password so, I created a new mailbox for users which created a new voice mailbox and new password to set, which rectified the issue for most of the users.

Trying to work on the firmware upgrade, thank you so much.

Best Regards

KM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: