Views
Helpful
Replies

How to see which PSTN Provider our IP Phone Use

satyaz
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the confusing title, but i have a problem : 

My boss want to evaluate which pstn numbers are not used and want to drop those numbers for efficiency.

So here is the our voice design : 

We have 1 voice gateway with E1s for telephone and FXOs for fax. Those E1s and FXOs are connected to two PSTN providers, first one is MSH (main) and the second one is Telkom for redundancy (back up).

So our contract to our PSTN providers is this : 

We rent their numbers, and paid those numbers for $6 a number. Eventhough one number for example didn't make a call at all for a month, we still have to pay $6 for that number. 

So my boss want to know which numbers are not used very often or even never used by our employee, so we can drop those numbers for efficiency. The time range is a month, so once again we  want to know which PSTN numbers are not/rarely used by our employee so we can drop them.

We have cucm for call manager and CTMS Client app for billing reporting.

I have search the menu or option in cucm and CTMS clients for seeking the answer, but i didn't find one.

Please i need your englighment, thx alot.

3 Replies 3

If each DID is mapped to a unique extension, you can generate CDR data for
one month. The exported data can be viewed in excel to see which extensions
aren't being used or you can write a script to compare the cdr_csv against
a pre-defined csv will all DIDs. You need to make sure that CUCM is
configured to keep at least 30 days of CDR.

If you don't assign unique extensions to DIDs then you need to configure gw
accounting in the router to send the call accounting to syslog server then
generate a report from syslog server.

sideview
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to take a look at using Splunk along with our CDR Reporting product running on Splunk --  "Cisco CDR Reporting and Analytics" ( https://sideviewapps.com/apps/cisco-cdr-reporting-and-analytics/

1) In that app the best way to solve this problem I think is to set up the apps "groups" lookup,  at a minimum to manually edit that lookup such that each of the N numbers is in the lookup.   (Normally you would set it up it pull *all* the information from AD for all extensions but it's easy enough to hand enter if it's a manageable number of extensions you care about. )

Then you can navigate to "Browse > Extensions",  pick the group/subgroup for the extensions, and flip on the "show extensions with zero calls" for good measure.   This will give you a report with call counts and durations in and out.  You can also drill down on any row to get a full detail report about what the actual calls were there, and a cross link over to the app's general "Browse > Calls" UI for even fuller details about any of the calls across 200+ fields. 

2) Another different but related direction is to create a report of all incoming calls grouped by what the initial dialed number actually was.   This is easy enough - go to "Report > General Report",  change "type" to just "incoming" and then change "over time" to "over initialCalledPartyNumber".  Flip the tab from "Chart to Table" as well.  Depending on various factors this might be a bit noisy, but it also might be pretty great.  Hard to say. 

Note that you can also use the "number" field here to enter all the numbers in question, comma-separted,  and set the preceding pulldown to "calls to".  That will cut down on rather a lot of the noise. 

3) As a completely different direction, if the calls are going out through an MGCP gateway you can actually see which port, slot and subunit the calls are going out through.  This is probably overkill here but... I thought I'd mention that too. 

The app is available as a free 90 day trial as well,  and only takes about 30 minutes to set up.  

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your are paying fro these numbers, I am assuming you get billed for calls as well. get onto your provider and ask for detailed call records, month after month and after say a couple of month you should be ablle to see what is used and wahts not. (inconjucntion with already mentioned CDRs in CUCM)

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.