cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to trust both phone and softphone qos cos marking?

ggovier
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I have an installation where the switch access port faces a phone (7942 or 7962) with a subtended PC.

The PC is also running a Cisco softphone (IP Communicator).

The switch config has the option of programming the port to trust either a phone OR a softphone

Switch(config-if)#auto qos voip ?

cisco-phone      Trust the QoS marking of Cisco IP Phone

cisco-softphone  Trust the QoS marking of Cisco IP SoftPhone

trust            Trust the DSCP/CoS marking

I know that the switch uses CDP to recognise either in order to trust it.

I like the idea of CDP checking for a trusted source of QOS markings.

How can I make the port work with both a cisco-phone AND a cisco-softphone, without just trusting all DSCP marking (like from other apps on the PC)?

Or asking another way,

• does the "cisco-softphone" setting exclude trusting a cisco phone?
  • does the "cisco-phone" setting exclude trusting a cisco softphone?

I have not sniffed it, but there is a voiuce VLAN for the phone, and a data VLAN for the PC. I'm assuming the softphone uses the data vlan.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To make it realy easy, leave the defaul of "no mls qos". The switch will not mess with DSCP values, and everything will work great.

Try to believe

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The definitions below are taken from the Cisco Enterprise QoS SRND:

The standard (interface) configuration commands to enable AutoQoS are: auto qos voip. Depending on the platform, AutoQoS VoIP can support the following additional keyword commands:

• cisco-phoneWhen you enter the auto qos voip cisco-phone interface  configuration command on a port at the edge of a network that is  connected to a Cisco IP Phone, the switch enables the  conditional-trusted boundary feature. The switch uses the Cisco  Discovery Protocol (CDP) to detect the presence or absence of a Cisco IP  Phone. When a Cisco IP Phone is detected, the ingress classification on  the interface is set to trust the CoS marking of the received packet.  When a Cisco IP Phone is absent, the ingress classification is set to  not trust the CoS (or DSCP) value of any packet.

• cisco-softphoneWhen you enter the auto qos voip cisco-softphone interface  configuration command on a port at the edge of the network that is  connected to a device running the Cisco SoftPhone, the switch uses  policing to decide whether a packet is in or out of profile and to  specify the action on the packet. If the packet does not have a DSCP  value of 24, 26, or 46 or is out of profile, the switch changes the DSCP  value to 0.

So it looks like the cisco-phone variant works with CDP and the cisco-softphone variant just polices the call payload and signalling traffic to what is acceptable for a single call - it does not do any detection of whether the attached PC is running the IP communicator software. You should therefore just be able to use the cisco-softphone for all ports regardless of whether they are supporting a physical phone or softphone.

I would however be tempted not to trust the attached device at all and writea bespoke config rather than relying on auto-qos. The link below should get you started doing this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoSDesign.html#wp1055786