cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hunting to a PBX Extension? - CUCM 7.x

t.henry
Level 1
Level 1
We have a mixed Cisco/Avaya campus with an MGCP gateway providing connectivity between the legacy PBX and the Cisco voice network.  I have a wireless upgrade going on, and plan to replace a number of spectralink wireless phones with Cisco 7925 wireless phones.  The CFNA coverage path for these phones needs to point to a hunt pilot that can offer the unanswered calls to one or more avaya desk phones for a specified period of time, before sending the call to another Cisco wireless phone as a last resort.
The coverage would look like this:
Cisco wireless goes unanswered,  CFNA point to hunt pilot
Hunt pilot directs call to Avaya extension (5 digit dial across MGCP gateway)
If this is unanswered after 20 seconds, call is forwarded to a second avaya extension
If this is unanswered after 20 seconds, call is forwarded to a second Cisco wireless phone until answered.
The problem that I have is that the avaya phone extensions can not be added to a line group, and the hunt pilot does not respect CallFwdAll (on a CTI Port), so calls are failing to make it to the avaya extensions.  We have looked at a couple of options, and using the Cisco hunt pilot would be the cleanest in terms of trunk usage, etc.  If I send the calls to an Avaya pilot, I may end up hairpinning calls back across the gateway.  My Avaya team tells me they can do this, but it seems like a convoluted way to solve the requirement.
Is there an accepted way to make this call logic work in a mixed environment?
Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Todd.
1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The two systems are separate, so you won't get lines from one system added to a hunt group in the other.

Closest you could do is more or less as you suggested:

1) Call goes to the Wireless handset (could be direct, or a single member of a hunt group)

2) Call hits CFNA timer (either that of the handset if called direct, or the hunt's max hunt timer if using a hunt group) and forwards to an Avaya hunt pilot

3) Call hunts on Avaya, then times out and is sent back to Cisco

4) Call arrives at second wireless (again, could be direct, or could be a single hunt group member)

In terms of the voice path - you would probably end up with a hairpinned call across the gateway, but you could try enabling 'Route Optimization' on the QSIG trunk which should rebuild the voice path when it realizes it doesn't need to be hairpinned.

Best solution though - it makes sense to try and migrate functional user groups at once; so if these are all 'IT Service Desk' users, or need to work closely in phone terms, put them all on the same system.

This comes up a lot with pickup groups; you just can't put people on separate phone systems and expect everything to work seamlessly.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!