Views
Helpful
Replies

Integration with Skype for business - Issue with G729

Hazem147
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My customer is integrating CUCM with Skype for business 2015 through a SIP trunk. Calls between SKype and IP phones in HQ are working fine as they're configured to use G711. Branch users however are having issues as they're configured to use G729 only which is not supported by Skype. Customer is really resisting adding a G711 option to his phones in the branch claiming it'll heavily impact network. He wants to always traverse G729 through WAN.

The resolutions i thought of were:

1- Use MTP at the CUCM located in HQ to transcode G711 to G729 and back, but I'm not sure if this will work with Skype and if anyone has tried it before.

2-Use hardware session border controller like Sonus SBC 2000 , but couldn't find good documentation about changing from G729 to G711 all docs seems to be doing the opposite..

Any thoughts guys?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CUCM has no hardware to provide transcoding, you need pvdms to transcode, there is no way around it.

you could choose to allow g711 across the WAN from the remote sites for skype calls ONLY, using Regions in cucm.   that way you dont need transcoding

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you can transcode using a cisco CUBE, with a whole bunch of PVDM3s. so run your CUCM sip trunk for skype into your cube and from the cube towards skype. let the cube handle all transcoding and make sure you use media flow through. so your branches set up RTP to the cube (g729) and the cube will do g711 towards skype.

Thanks Dennis,

I think customer will challenge back about buying new hardware to achieve this, he currently doesn't have CUBE.

Any other options that we can achieve this through CUCM?

CUCM has no hardware to provide transcoding, you need pvdms to transcode, there is no way around it.

you could choose to allow g711 across the WAN from the remote sites for skype calls ONLY, using Regions in cucm.   that way you dont need transcoding

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: