Views
Helpful
Replies

ip phone boot up questions

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmsys/a02tftp.html

A quote from the link

The device requests a configuration file from the TFTP server. The TFTP server searches three internal caches, the disk, and then alternate Cisco file servers (if specified) for the configuration file. If the TFTP server finds the configuration file, it sends it to the device. If the configuration file provides Cisco Unified Communications Manager names, the device resolves the name by using DNS and opens a connection to the Cisco Unified Communications Manager. If the device does not receive an IP address or name, it uses the TFTP server name or IP address for setting up its registration connection.

I am a little confused by the highlighted line above.  What exactly are we saying?  are we saying if our ipphone does not receive any information about CM in its configuration file, our phone will try to register with tftp server ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quote from the same link

Cisco Unified Communications Manager informs devices that are using .cnf format configuration files of their load ID. Devices that are using .xml format configuration files receive the load ID in the configuration file. If the device load ID differs from the load ID that is currently executing on the device, the device requests the load that is associated with the new load ID from the TFTP server and resets itself.

The highlighted text above is troubling me.

This is my understanding:

Regardless if the phone currently stores SCCP firmware  or SCP firmware, these steps are common when the phone boot up

1) Get ip address and ip address of tftp server ( option 150)

2) Contacts tftp and get configuration file

The configuration file contains load ID among other things. Phone compares its firmware with load ID, if differ, phone request the firmware specified in load id.

So any kind of difference between the firmware specified  in load id and the firmware currently on the phone, is resolved right here at step 2 i.e before phone try to register with cucm.

But the highlighted text suggests that this is not the case if the phone is using cnf. format i.e the receives its configuration file with cnf format.

I just need to verify that.

thanks and have a great day.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very good, that's correct.

You get the 3 servers from the CUCM group for registration, the 4th option on the phone, is the TFTP even if not listed, then, the SRST reference.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very good, that's correct.

You get the 3 servers from the CUCM group for registration, the 4th option on the phone, is the TFTP even if not listed, then, the SRST reference.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime

A quote from the same link

Cisco Unified Communications Manager informs devices that are using .cnf format configuration files of their load ID.  Devices that are using .xml format configuration files receive the load  ID in the configuration file. If the device load ID differs from the  load ID that is currently executing on the device, the device requests  the load that is associated with the new load ID from the TFTP server  and resets itself.

Is the highlighted text correct ?

Thanks