cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to send the traces to a syslog server?

On CallManager 6.x, is it possible to send the traces to a syslog server for longer storage?  Now, the traces overwrite about every 45 minutes, which makes it difficult to catch a problem when it occurs.  If it can be done, can it be done from the CLI or the RTMT?  I would like to have several hours or a day of traces stored.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not possible

All you can change about the traces is this:

Field
Description

Maximum number of files

This field specifies the total number of trace files for a given  service.

Cisco Unified Serviceability automatically appends a sequence number to  the file name to indicate which file it is; for example, cus299.txt.  When the last file in the sequence is full, the trace data begins  writing over the first file. The default varies by service.

Maximum file size (MB)

This field specifies the maximum size of the trace file in megabytes.  The default varies by service.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not possible

All you can change about the traces is this:

Field
Description

Maximum number of files

This field specifies the total number of trace files for a given  service.

Cisco Unified Serviceability automatically appends a sequence number to  the file name to indicate which file it is; for example, cus299.txt.  When the last file in the sequence is full, the trace data begins  writing over the first file. The default varies by service.

Maximum file size (MB)

This field specifies the maximum size of the trace file in megabytes.  The default varies by service.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

The other alternative would be to start RTMT on a PC, and use the 'Schedule Collection' option in Trace & Log Central. You can set that to run as often as every hour (useful once you have extended your logging to cover at least one hour) and retrieve the last hour's worth of logs, and it can delete the server side logs as well so you don't get too much overlap.

It's not a common thing to do though - generally you use the CCM logs for troubleshooting only, which is why they're so verbose and wrap so quickly. If they are too much, then consider what you want them for and disable some of the things that are logged that you don't need, or turn off logging for services you aren't interested in the logs for to make space for more history of the ones you are interested in.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for the alternative Aaron.  I may have to try it.  I'm trying to catch a probable problem but the traces are always overwritten by the time I get to them.

Anthony