Helpful
Replies

is qos needed for this network?

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So this is the network descp..

the core switch in this branch site has connectiviety to our HQ through WAN links which is throught BT. we also have few access switches in the branch site  which connects back to the core. none of these have any qos configs. These ip phones are connected to our switches but managed but a thrid party (the phones registers with a third party serveice). we have a different vocie gateway  just for the phones. so two gateways... one to our HQ and the other to a third party company for maanging these phones. so do i need QoS for my traffic since phones go through a different circuit? the ipphones are on a differnet vlan to the data vlan.

if i do can one please post me a sample config . i have gone through the cisco website but its a bit complicated to me as i am starter to VoIP. does qos need to be applied on all switches including access switches at the branch and core switch at HQ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

QoS would only be needed if you think it is possible congestion will occur somewhere between the phone and the VoIP provider's gateway. Is it plausible the switch uplinks from the access to the core will ever be saturated?

If so the QoS SRND explains how to configure things per-switch model: