Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber & Presence on Sharepoint 2013

Hi all.

Good day.

The directive department asked me to implement Presence on the Sharepoint sites of our intranet; they want to see whether a person is available, chat and start a voice over IP Call (like MS Lync).

I already have a Presence Server 8.6, integrated with a 8.6 CUCM, Unity Con 8.6 & LDAP Auth. I've deployed Windows, Andriod, iPhone, & Tables Jabbers, and now we are looking further.

So, our windows department says they don’t have to do anything in their environment to implement Presence on sharepoint, so I think the entire configuration in right in mi side. I've looking some information on the Internet (I’m not a partner, so I don’t have access to some cisco documentation), and I've found that Internet Explorer need a ActiveX plugin named "name.dll", and with some programming, it can successfully display the presence availability of the user logged in and start a VoIP Call with the client softphone (jabber) if they want to.

Could you please lend me a guide to deploy jabber over Sharepoint?

What infrastructure do i need?

What steps need to be completed?

Thank you for your time

Regards.

3 Replies 3

Jon Maxey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Presence Integration between IM Applications and Microsoft Office 2010

February 2010

This is a preliminary document and may be changed substantially prior to final commercial release of the software described herein.

The information contained in this document represents the current view of Microsoft Corporation on the issues discussed as of the date of publication.  Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information presented after the date of publication.

This White Paper is for informational purposes only.  MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, AS TO THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT.

Complying with all applicable copyright laws is the responsibility of the user.  Without limiting the rights under copyright, no part of this document may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), or for any purpose, without the express written permission of Microsoft Corporation.

Microsoft may have patents, patent applications, trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property rights covering subject matter in this document.  Except as expressly provided in any written license agreement from Microsoft, the furnishing of this document does not give you any license to these patents, trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property.

© 2010 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft, Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Sharepoint Server 2010, Microsoft Excel 2010, Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft Powerpoint 2010are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Applicable to: Microsoft Office 2010

This document describes how an instant messaging (IM) application integrates with Microsoft Office 2010 to provide Presence, IM, Quick Search, Quick Contacts as well as call and conferencing features.

There are two main categories of functionality for integration with Microsoft Office 2010:

• Basic IM and Presence Integration
  • Advanced Presence Integration - Quick Search, Quick Contacts, IM, Call and Conferencing Integration

Basic IM and Presence Integration

With basic IM and Presence integration, a third party can use IM applications to leverage Presence and integrate IM functionality in Office applications within the following:

Microsoft Outlook 2010:

• Presence integration for people in the “To/Cc/Bcc” line within e-mail messages, the Global Address Book property dialog box, task assignments, Journal entry, Outlook Contacts property dialog box e-mail field, meeting requests and the Contact Card
  • Activation of IM entry points on the Microsoft Office System contact card
  • Activation of IM entry points on the Ribbon on Outlook e-mail and meeting items

Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010:

• Presence integration for people in a SharePoint list
  • Activation of IM entry points in the Microsoft Office 2010 contact card

Microsoft Word 2010, Microsoft Excel 2010 and Microsoft Powerpoint 2010

• Activation of IM entry points on the Contact Card

To complete third-party integration:

1. Write the following registry keys under HKLM\Software\IM Providers\ during the installation of the third-party client application.

Key Name

Type

Data Description

FriendlyName

REG_SZ

Name of the third-party client

ProcessName

REG_SZ

Process name of the third-party client

GUID

REG_SZ

CLSID (Class Identifier) of the third-party client

1. Write the following registry key under HKCU\Software\IM Providers

Key Name

Type

Data Description

DefaultIMApp

REG_SZ

The name of the application. This has to be the same as the name of the hive in Step 1.

This key specifies the IM application Office integrates with when it starts up. Only one application can integrate with Office at any time. If this key already exists, the third-party application has to overwrite it to take over presence integration in Office.

1. Implement the Windows Messenger API. For more information, go to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630961.aspx.
  2. Advertise the start and shutdown of your application’s COM server by setting the following registry key under HKCU\Software\IM Providers\

Key Name

Type

Data Description

UpAndRunning

REG_DWORD

0 (Not running)

1 (Starting)

2 (Running)

Advanced Presence, IM, Call and Conferencing Integration

In addition to basic IM and Presence integration with the Microsoft Office 2010, a third party can integrate with advanced features including:

• Enhanced Presence
  • Multi-party IM conversation
  • Office Ribbon menu entry points
  • Contextual data passed with “Reply with Instant Message” and “Reply all with Instant Message” options
  • Conferencing
  • Call integration
  • Quick Search
  • Quick Contacts
  • Video Call
  • Share by IM and Application Sharing in the Backstage

You can find details on these integration capabilities in other articles available on the Microsoft Download Center.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply configure the proxyAddress attribute on each user in AD to point to the CUPS user SIP URI, i.e. sip:jsmith@cup.domain.com where the domain part is the defined CUPS domain in CUPS configuration.

HTH,

Chris

There is an alternative approach to the OS-level integration (name.dll, etc.) that work with all modern browsers - it's Jabber SDK for Web. It will give you presence and all the communication options as well: chat, voice, and video calls.

There's a ready solution for SharePoint called Jabborate. It adds a bunch of JavaScript files that will enable presence + communication options. It's virtually zero downtime.