Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAP Call Manager Synchronization and Personal Address Books

Keith Joel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

Excuse me for the simple question as I think I know the answer but I want to be SURE before going forth with it.  Recently we did an installation of Call Manager 7 for a customer and they originally chose not to integrate it with their LDAP.  Since the implementation they've changed their minds and are now wanting to go with the integration.  Typically I'll choose userids that match up with a customers LDAP information just in case they do change their minds down the road which luckily was the case here.  With that said, my question revolves around the synchronization process.  As I understand it, all user accounts are marked inactive at the start of synchronization and as accounts match up they are then marked active and updated with any new or different information from LDAP.  My question is, are the existing speed dials and personal address books affected by the LDAP synchronization if the account matches?  I understand accounts that do not match up will be removed during garbage collection so the answer to this is obvious but I just wanted to be sure about the matching scenario. 

Thanks for your time!

Keith

2 Replies 2

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

From the CUCM 7.0 SRND -

When synchronization is enabled for the first time on a Unified CM publisher server, user accounts that exist in the corporate directory are imported into the Unified CM database. Then either existing Unified CM end-user accounts are activated and data is updated, or a new end-user account is created according to the following process:

1. If end-user accounts already exist in the Unified CM database and a synchronization agreement is configured, all pre-existing accounts are marked inactive in Unified CM. The configuration of the synchronization agreement specifies a mapping of an LDAP database attribute to the Unified CM UserID. During the synchronization, accounts from the LDAP database that match an existing Unified CM account cause that Unified CM account to be marked active again.

So you are spot on with your comments.  To answer your question; all speed dials, device association, etc. will be kept on accounts that have identical account names when LDAP is enabled.

I'm not sure it's forum etiquette but I'd like to continue this discussion as I do have a related question.

If the customer has an account in AD that's hidden from the Global Address List, will it be visible and brought over to Call Manager?  They have a number of accounts that they want listed in the phone directory but not the email directory.  I'm thinking no but I'm not completely familiar with the ins and outs of AD.

Thanks.

Keith