cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

licenses and ip cisco phone connection to switch

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

I’m planning to shift our office location to another so im asking about the ip cisco phones and cme that I already have , please check my below questions :

• I have the following parts regarding my central ip :

Cisco SMARTNET 8X5XNBD Cisco 2911 Voice Bundle

CISCO 2911 VOICE BUNDLE PVD 3-16 UC LICENSE PAK FL-CUBE 01

Cisco 4 port voice interface card - fxo (ehwic)

CISCO UC PHONE 7945 Gig ETHERNET COLOR

CISCO UC PHONE 7821

Cisco Communication manager Express or SRST-25 Seat License

I HAVE BY THE WAY C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.4(3)M1

1. I need to know how many ip cisco phones as maximum can I add and configure on my system.?

How many license that I have for now? Is it 25 seats only depending on what I                 mentioned above? What if I add more phones like 35 for example? Is it will work fine?

1. If I need to Buy more licenses for more phones on my ccme , how that ? And the license is per phone? also if I configure more phones than the quantity of licenses that I have is it will work fine ?
  • Technically connection setup :
  1. I have 2 Switches 24 PORTS CATALYST 2960 - X SERIES GigE PoE 370W 4 X 1G SFP LAN Base (WS-C2960X-24PS-L)

And the correct connectivity is to put all cisco phones in one switch or doesnot matter if its divided       on both switches and the power to feed over POE from switch to phones incase if all phones connected to one switch will be fine?

1. What is the benefit if I put the voice traffic on separated vlan because I’m using only one vlan ( or I didn’t configure any vlans on my switches) ?

amr alrazzaz
4 Replies 4

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

The number of phones depends on the model of router which you have. You can get all the required details from the below link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme115spc.pdf

Details about the CME licensing-

When you purchase a Cisco Unified CME permanent license, the permanent license is installed on the device when the product is shipped to you. A permanent license never expires and you will gain access to that particular feature set for the lifetime of the device across all IOS release. If you purchase a permanent license for Cisco Unified CME , you do not have to go through the Evaluation Right to Use and Right To Use (RTU) licensing processes for using the features. If you want to purchase a CME-SRST license for your existing device, you have to go through the RTU licensing process for using the features. There is no change in the existing process for purchasing the license.

The Cisco Unified CME permanent license is available in the form of an XML cme-locked3 file. You should get the XML file and load it in the flash memory of the device. To install the permanent license from the command prompt, use the license install flash0:cme-locked3 command. The cme-locked3 is the xml file of the license.

Smartnet 8x5xnbd is your support. 8x5xNBD indicates that a technical support engineer is available 24x7 and advance hardware replacement is available 8 hours per day (delivering the replacement hardware during normal business hours only), 5 days a week, with next business day delivery.

https://www.cisco.com/web/partners/services/promos/accelerate/downloads/Cisco_SMARTnet_SG.pdf

Regarding Voice VLAN, its always good practice and Cisco recommendation to configure switches with both data and voice as it makes it easier if you decide moving forward and do want to daisy chain a PC off the phones. 

Usually, IP phones sit next to a computer on the same desk. They require the same UTP cables as computers and also use Ethernet. If we want to connect them to a switch, we have two options.

You could connect the computer and IP phone using two different cables:

switch ip phone host two cables

This will work but it has some disadvantages:

• You need to install a new cable from the switchport to the IP phone.
  • You will lose a switchport for the IP phone.

To solve this, most IP phones (including Cisco) have a three port switch inside of the IP phone:

• One port connects to the switch.
  • One port connects to the computer.
  • One (internal) port connects to the phone.

This allows us to connect the IP phone and computer like this:

switch host behind ip phone

You probably want to separate the data from the computer and IP phone. This is something we can do with voice VLANs.

The Voice VLAN is also known as the Auxiliary VLAN (AUX VLAN)

The computer will be in a data VLAN, the IP phone will be in the voice VLAN. It will look like this:

switch host ip phone voice vlan

Behind the scenes, we have a trunk between our switch and IP phone. The port on the IP phone that connects to the computer is an access port. The IP phone will forward all traffic from the computer to the switch untagged, traffic from the IP phone itself will be tagged. The only two VLANs that are allowed though, are the access and voice VLAN.

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1-100-105/voice-vlan

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

hi 

thanks a lot for your help , need some answers also regarding the below points :

Cisco Communication manager Express or SRST-25 Seat License (25 seats means only 25 phones i can configure on cme ? if yes so if need toc onfigure more 5 phones so is it okay with that and no need to buy more license for the other 5 phones )? or i can confiure the maximum dn and ephone that router can support ? as below

!
telephony-service
max-ephones 58
max-dn 64

regarding my connection here  :  im using one port for both phone and pc ( sw----phone---pc) 

so my question is if i connect all the phones in one switch is it okay or i should divide on the 2 switches that i have ? so technically is it okay ? (im just asking technically okay or not ? if i load al phones on only one switch ?)

also how can i get the xml license coz i have only the quotation order for my equipment with no xml license ?

is there command on router to show the license ? 

amr alrazzaz

hi 

thanks a lot for your help , need some answers also regarding the below points :

Cisco Communication manager Express or SRST-25 Seat License (25 seats means only 25 phones i can configure on cme ? if yes so if need toc onfigure more 5 phones so is it okay with that and no need to buy more license for the other 5 phones )? or i can confiure the maximum dn and ephone that router can support ? as below

!
telephony-service
max-ephones 58
max-dn 64

regarding my connection here  :  im using one port for both phone and pc ( sw----phone---pc) 

so my question is if i connect all the phones in one switch is it okay or i should divide on the 2 switches that i have ? so technically is it okay ? (im just asking technically okay or not ? if i load al phones on only one switch ?)

also how can i get the xml license coz i have only the quotation order for my equipment with no xml license ?

amr alrazzaz

hi 

Cisco Communication manager Express or SRST-25 Seat License (25 seats means only 25 phones i can configure on cme ? if yes so if need toc onfigure more 5 phones so is it okay with that and no need to buy more license for the other 5 phones )? or i can confiure the maximum dn and ephone that router can support ? as below

!
telephony-service
max-ephones 58
max-dn 64

amr alrazzaz