cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Licenses For pre-upgrade phones

afketchum1
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded from software version 4.3 to 7.1. I did not use DMA and received licenses from cisco for my existing connected phones, but I have several phones in storage that I need licenses for now. How do I purchase licenses for these older phones (Cisco7941)?  Also, when a new phone is purchased, is the license purchased separately with it? And do I have to install each new individual license file into the CUCM as I did for my 300 active phones when it was upgraded?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You do not order phones with licenses on appliance based CUCM, licenses are for users and are purchased independent of phones. 

If the BOM included phones and CUWL/UCL licenses you will receive a product authorization code (PAK) that needs to be registered on cisco.com/license, the PAK will be delivered either electronically via email to person on the order if electronic part number was ordered (prefixed with L-) or will be shipped in an envelope.

If a customer already has a phone that had never been configured in the earlier version of CCM and they need to add it to the new CUCM now, how do they obtain the license for that phone if they never used it?

Well, I would suggest getting the phone configured in the CUCM system before the upgrade so the license count will be included for that phone during migration.  If the upgrade was already performed it will be difficult to track it unless customer did a good job registering all UCSS license. I would recommend sending email to licensing@cisco.com to get it resolved.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need to purchase either UCL or CUWL licenses which are no longer phone licenses but rather user licenses and cover features such as phone usage. Contact your local reseller for quote for CUCM 7.1 UCL or CUWL licenses.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you Chris,

When a phone is purchased with a license, does it come with a disk with the license on it to upload to the cucm? How do I add the license for a new phone to CUCM?

If a customer already has a phone that had never been configured in the earlier version of CCM and they need to add it to the new CUCM now, how do they obtain the license for that phone if they never used it?

You do not order phones with licenses on appliance based CUCM, licenses are for users and are purchased independent of phones. 

If the BOM included phones and CUWL/UCL licenses you will receive a product authorization code (PAK) that needs to be registered on cisco.com/license, the PAK will be delivered either electronically via email to person on the order if electronic part number was ordered (prefixed with L-) or will be shipped in an envelope.

Well, I would suggest getting the phone configured in the CUCM system before the upgrade so the license count will be included for that phone during migration.  If the upgrade was already performed it will be difficult to track it unless customer did a good job registering all UCSS license. I would recommend sending email to licensing@cisco.com to get it resolved.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thank you so very much for your help. Now I understand the licensing process. I did upgrade the CUCM within the past month so I have sent an email to cisco licensing about the phones that were not active in the older version. I will update with the outcome.