Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting jabber client resolution over the WAN

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to limit a Jabber client's resolution (specifically Jabber for Windows, on premise) so that over the WAN it will be no more than 448p and in the LAN will be 720p? Is it possible to set a fixed (user can't configure) resolution depending on the destination? A solution based on Locations doesn't sound satisfactory since this limits the overall bandwidth between locations, and not per user. However, if coupled with setting a fixed resolution based on the destination, this would probably be a fine solution.

The deployment includes CUCM 11 and Jabber for Windows 11.

Thanks for your time!

4 Replies 4

Hi Hod,

You can apply QoS to minimize the bandwidth of video per user. It's not a straight solution but it could works. Cisco Jabber is design to  adapt video resolution depending of bandwidth. 

Video Rate Adaptation

Cisco Jabber uses video rate adaptation to negotiate optimum video quality. Video rate adaptation dynamically increases or decreases video bit rate throughput to handle real-time variations on available IP path bandwidth.

Cisco Jabber users should expect video calls to begin at lower resolution and scale upwards to higher resolution over a short period of time. Cisco Jabber saves history so that subsequent video calls should begin at the optimal resolution.

Quality of Service Configuration

Cisco Jabber supports two methods for prioritizing and classifying Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) traffic as it traverses the network:
  •  Deploy with Cisco Media Services Interface
  •  Set DSCP values in IP headers of RTP media packets

I see, so if I were to limit bandwidth on a per-user basis (perhaps User-Based Rate Limiting or flow based policing)? Would that be supported with ASR-1001x? Is there a preferred method?

it depend on you network design, it could be a long answer.

Read this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book/QoSIntro.html

If going through the concept that you've suggested, then I should police traffic at the WAN edge. All traffic between sites would pass through ASR-1001X cisco routers, which run IOS-XE. The solution reference doesn't discuss anything in particular for this situation as far as I can tell. It doesn't even discuss particular policing technologies, only best practices depending on certain traffic profiles.