cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Ring Settings (Idle) Disable does not work (CUCM)

Hello,

I am facing a problem with the Line Ring Setting (Idle) on phone models 79XX.

I want to use a shared line on multiple devices and be able to disable the ring setting on some of them. That way, the DN is blinking when there is an incoming call, but no information displayed and the softkeys won't change. It works with the Ring Setting (Active). So, when a call is in progress and another call arrive on the shared line, the display does not show the call and the softkeys remain those of the active call. But when the phone is Idle, even if the parameter is set to Disable, we still see the call display and softkey change to represent the "Ring In" softkeys.

I tried the same thing on a 8961 phone model, and it works fine. On phone models 7945 and 7965 it won't work.

I do not use MLPP Indication (it is disabled).

I have tested on both CUCM 9.1.2 and 10.5.2. Same behavior.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thank you very much

Gabriel

5 Replies 5

Hi Gabriel,

just to check if it is by design or not ... are you using the latest firmware of 7945/7965 (SIP 9.4(2)SR1, 30/Apr/2015)? If the answer is no, then please, test the new release.

Hope this helps.

Bill Elmore
Level 1
Level 1

Were you able to resolve this?  I use 7965s (SCCP) and 7841s (SIP) on CUCM 9.1.2.  The "Disable" parameter seems to do the same thing as "Flash Only".  Some of my users want Shared Line Appearance without ringing.

Hello,

No, I recently opened a TAC for this problem since it was not only affecting our 7945/65 models, but our SIP 8961 and 8851 as well.

TAC looked this up with the BU and it ended up being a bug.

We tested and had the same issue on version 8.6, 9.1.2.13055-1 and 10.5.2.13040-2 with these firmwares:

SCCP45.9-4-2-1s

SCCP45.9-4-2ES16S

SIP8961.9-4-2ES5-1

SIP88XX.10-3-1-20

Bug tickets have been filled out for those models:

CSCuy16339 for 8961 / 88XX models

CSCuy28500 for 7945/7965 models

We needed to use the shared line with ring settings disable because one of our customer had employees that were responsible of taking voice messages out of other people mailboxes from their phones. We wanted these employees to know whenever they had a message in a specific mailbox, and be able to select that line and hit the "envelope" to attempt sign-in to the appropriate mailbox in CUC.

The workaround we use right now is configuring an "unknown DN" as Alternate Extension and Alternate MWI in CUC for each mailbox that has to be monitored and we configure that DN on the employee's Device.

I.e.

Consultant DN 2001 has DN 2501 as an Alternate Extension and MWI in CUC

Consultant DN 2002 has DN 2502 as an Alternate Extension and MWI in CUC

Consultant DN 2003 has DN 2503 as an Alternate Extension and MWI in CUC

The Assistant of these Consultants has the following:

Always use first line for voice messages DISABLED

Personnal DN 2000

DN 2501 with Text Label Mailbox 2001

DN 2502 with Text Label Mailbox 2002

DN 2503 with Text Label Mailbox 2003

That way, whenever a Consultant receives a message, let's say into Mailbox DN 2001, it lights up the DN 2501 which is an Alternate MWI so the Assistant can see there is a message. If the Assistant presses the second key (associated with DN 2501) and then the envelope, it reaches the mailbox DN 2001 and prompt for PIN.

For information, we are about to configure those "unknown DN" as ringdown plars. We would have a CSS on the line reaching a Translation Pattern which points to the voicemail pilot. That way, the Assistant won't have to select the line and then press the envelope. Line will act as a speed dial straight to the appropriate mailbox.

Hope this can help someone until the bug gets fixed.

Regards,

Gabriel

The weird part is that sometimes it worked fine with model 8961, but not all the time. Never worked with models 7965/45.

Hi,

So here is the final answer from Cisco DE: This function has been designed to control the HANDSET only, for which you will hear/see different things depending upon settings. So, flash only is meant to flash only the handset light, and Disable will disable light/sound for handset only, nothing about the line or the call being received on the phone.

I asked for the documentation to be adjusted and specify that, as it is not clear. BUT, a problem remains. If it was designed to control the handset only, then they will have a problem with some SIP models I guess. In our case, 8961 model did work the way we want half of the time. When a call was placed on that shared line and set to Ring Setting (Idle/Active) Disable, the call was not arriving at all on the phone. That would go against the way it was meant to be designed (handset only).

Regards,