Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS RAM Upgrade problem...

Azamukanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After upgrading RAM on MCS-7825-I4, server never boots up. I am pushing on power button, but no reaction.

What can be the reason? By default it has 2GB RAM, putting another 2GB RAM in addition.

Quick response is appreciated!    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

all sorts of stuff can happen.  You could have not grounded yourself and shocked the board, that will def kill it..  The slots in the Motherboard could have been pressed badly and you could have an accidental connection that fried it.

In my days I have killed so many PC's and boards through crazier and more random stuff then installing RAM.

Call TAC if you have a contract and they will send HP or IBM to fix it.

HTH,

Chad

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

phooghen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try first to remove the memory you've just installed into the MCS-7825-I4 and boot the server.

If it's working, you've probably put the memory extension in the wrong slot.

Priyadarshini B.T
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

please confirm to me whether you have followed the procedure below,

1-Shutdown the server

2-Add the Module on available slot (as a normal Electronic Handling Recommendation, make sure use a Anti-static wrist strap when changing/handling electronic part, to avoid any static discharge on it and damage the parts) Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

3-Power up the server and make sure the RAM was recognized. System will alert if there is any problem     Second, I encourage use this Part Number for the RAM Module: MEM-7825-I4-2GB=. You could get these modules from any Cisco Reseller or Partner to avoid any incompatibility issues; they can suggest the best option for such modules

Reference Link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/data_

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/data_sheet_c78-478943.html

(Table 5. Spare Parts Ordering Information)

How many actual slots are on the Mother board and how many RAM cards do you have?

The motherboards for thoses servers actualls have wierd pairings for RAM and their partners.  I suggest actually reading the hardware guide and making sure the RAM is truly installed in the right slots for what your trying to do.

Chad

I have totally 4 RAMs, 1GB each. The incompatibility is not the issue because the new ones  from the same MCS. I was planning to test UC on ESX. Removed new installed RAMs - no result. Pushing power button doesn't turn on the server.

There are 4 slots, and having 4 RAMs - no chance to confuse. RAMs are installed correctly, because doing it with 10 year experience :-).

What can be the problem?    

if it doesn't turn on the server the answer is pretty simple, your power supply is either dead, or has become disconnected.

If the ram was bad you would at least get power.

Check Layer 1 physical cabling, and call TAC to get a new power supply with the smartnet you hopefully have!

Chad

The power indicator is blinking, so it's not the correct answer.

Before upgrading, the server was running pretty well...

Is putting a new RAM can cause the power supply problem, don't think so.    

do you have a monitor attached?  is there any prompt that comes up?  Can you get into the BIOS?

Sounds like it may be the motherboard.  Maybe those 2 slots were bad and the first time you tried to power it up something happened?

Nothing is appearing on the monitor, showing no signal message. Even keyboard indicators are not blinking.

Everything was OK, before I put 2 new RAMs with 1GB each. Does RAMs may cause this kind of problem?

all sorts of stuff can happen.  You could have not grounded yourself and shocked the board, that will def kill it..  The slots in the Motherboard could have been pressed badly and you could have an accidental connection that fried it.

In my days I have killed so many PC's and boards through crazier and more random stuff then installing RAM.

Call TAC if you have a contract and they will send HP or IBM to fix it.

HTH,

Chad

Never happened with me, it's the first time but it catched badly. If something wrong with RAMs, it's easy to fix.

But something wrong with a motherboard - it hurts. Thanks for your time and consideration!    

Brian Lavallee
Level 1
Level 1

Something to consider, you can encounter issues by the simple act of turning off a server that has been running for days/months/years.

Before upgrading, you should do a sanity check. Complete power down, complete boot, then power down for the upgrade.

Now your at the point where you need to reach a "known good" state. Because the issue remains after removing the hardware changes, you need to determine the underlying cause.

There us a chance that ESD broke something during the RAM install. Same odds the problem was already there, just waiting for a cold boot.

Your best option at this point is to use your hardware warranty. DIY Option: Tear down the server, clean everything, reassemble (before upgrade state), and attempt to get the machine to boot.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App