Helpful
Replies

MOH & Cube

Pieter de jong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Environment is CUCM - H323 - CUBE - ISP

Inbound & outbound calls all work fine however MOH does not work. Have checked that MOH is streaming from CUCM and is Unicast. Have checked all codecs in the Service Parameters for MOH to include G729 and restarted Streaming Service.

Attached is my config (cutdown), debug of CCSIp when triggering MOH and screenshot from CUCM of MOH service parameters.

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers

Pieter

21 Replies 21

Thanks Aokanlawon,

I did enable debugging for the IPVMS service but it did not write to the log file. I tried several times including restarting the service. I saw the errors but they are referring to files that are not in the MOH list. I have no idea where these come from. Look sto be internal.

The MOH works fine for internal users and uses the same source file for the MOH for users on the PSTN. No 2 is the MOH file we are after.

Regards

Pieter

Pieter,

Thanks for the update. I have done further research and this is definitely a problem on CUCM side...

The two stages for playing MOH on h323 call

1. CUCM sends a closelogical channel to the existing call

2. cucm sends a open logical channel ACK with the ip address of CUCM-MOH server and port (usually 4000)

In this case CUCM is sending "empty capabiilities"

H245ASN - TtPid=(23601) -Outgoing #198669 -value MultimediaSystemControlMessage ::= response : openLogicalChannelAck :

{

forwardLogicalChannelNumber 1,

forwardMultiplexAckParameters h2250LogicalChannelAckParameters :

{

sessionID 1,

mediaChannel unicastAddress : iPAddress :

{

network '00000000'H,

tsapIdentifier 0

},

mediaControlChannel unicastAddress : iPAddress :

{

network '00000000'H,

tsapIdentifier 1

I see a bug that is for old IOS and explains this behaviour (although you are not usin POTS for PSTN)

CSCdv43814 Bug Deta
ils
VOIP leg MOH stream not played out to POTS leg
Symptoms:
When an ipphone hooked to a Call Manager user places a PSTN caller on hold, the
PSTN caller does not hear the MOH stream even though the stream is delivered to
the IP interface of the router. Here is breakdown of problem :
- Call Manager has an active GW to IP Phone call up.
- The IP Phone places the GW on hold.
- Call Manager then sends an EmptyCapabilitySet to the GW.
- The Call Manager is then connected to MOH.
- The Call Manager sends an OpenLogicalChannel on behalf of the IP Phone,
meanwhile the GW sends an OpenLogicalChannel to the Call Manager.
- The GW sends an OpenLogicalChannelAck to the Call Manager with a valid
RTP address.
- The Call Manager sends an OpenLogicalChannelAck to the GW with
IP=0.0.0.0, Port=0. The reason here is that Call Manager is unable (by
design) to open an in-bound stream on the MOH. So, it just reports back a
null RTP address.
- The GW user doesn't here music.

Conditions :
This is observed on all Cisco Gateway with Cisco IOS rel 12.1(5)YD3 code as
well as on XB branch. This problem is not present in mainline rel Cisco IOS rel
12.2(3).

Workaround:
None if SRST functionality is required. Otherwise use release Cisco IOS
rel 12.2(3)
My suggestions for test purposes)
1. Ensure the h323 gateway has MRGL with Moh server in it
2.on the h323 gateway (select use MTP) (ensure there is MTP in the h323 gateway MRGL)
Test again
Options 2
3. Upgrade your IOS
4. Change h323 gateway to SIP..so that you have a sip to sip call flow
Let me know whic options you had like to try..The first ones look easy enough to try..may be you should give it ago

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thank you again! I will go onsite tomorrow and try some options. I will start with option one and then move to changing the trunk to SIP. The bug matches the symptoms exactly except that we are running ver 15.1. The symptom does not happen with the calls across the pots dial peers, so I will leave the upgrade as a last option.

Will keep you updated.

Regards

Pieter

Almost there!

I decided to do the SIP trunk fro mthe Call Manager to the CUBE as you recomended. If I dial from internal to external, MOH works however, not in the opposite direction. Dialing from external to internal does not have MOH working. I did add the MTP resource from the IOS to the MRGL of the SIP trunk and selected "use MTP"

Send some debugs to your email account if you have a moment? Would be appreciated

Regards

Pieter

Pieter,

I have been travelling, hence the reason for my late response..I was looking at your logs at brussels airport

The failing call is still doing h323 to sip. The call is matching dial-peer 20 voip..which is a h323 dial-peer. You can just remove this dial-peer and leave only dial-peer 21..and it should be fine.

Have you tried MOH with sip to sip configuration without enabling MTP. Please try that and see if it works and let us see if we can remove MTP..Send me the logs once you remove the MTP. You can send the logs directly here (the forum attachment is working now)

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thank you,

It is working now. The challenge was getting this going with the existing h323 environment for testing. I really appreciate your input. This is working using the MTP (which I will play around with to see if it makes any difference). Couldn't remove the dial peer as still required to translate patterns.

In short incase others read this, the golden rule I learned when using SIP trunks to ISP:  Avoid CUCM - H323 - Cube - SIP - ISP. It should be CUCM-SIP-CUBE-SIP-ISP. It just saves a ton of troubleshooting (no matter what the customer wants).

Cheers and thanks for making the support community a place collaborate!

Pieter

Pieter,

I am glad I could help. The support forum is the best..we all make it what it is..Make sure you come back..