Helpful
Replies

Moving ESXi5 UC guest between ESXi Servers

adam.hucker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

So I am wondering if anyone has any advice on the following:

I have a large UC install including multiple CUCM SME Servers, CUCM, Unity, MP, and the list goes on.

I would like to start configuring this in a lab environment to pre stage all the servers and then move them onto the customers hardware when it is racked and in place ready.

This is what virtualization is all about right but I know I may have some issues.

Can I move the VM's from one ESXi server to another (not same hardware on hosts), or will this cause potential issues?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Adam,

Please refer the below link for the supported operation on UCS for the UC products.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

Hope this helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts by clicking on the stars below the right answers !!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Adam,

Please refer the below link for the supported operation on UCS for the UC products.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements

Hope this helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts by clicking on the stars below the right answers !!

Restart Virtual Machine on Different ESXi Host

NOTE: support varies by app and version. Before reading the best practices below, verify support at Supported Editions and Features of VMware vSphere ESXi, VMware vCenter and VMware vSphere Client.

A Virtual Machine (VM) file on network/shared storage can be booted on any physical server hosting ESXi that has access to that network shared storage. With multiple physical ESXi hosts connected to the same network shared storage, this can be used to perform:

• Fast manual server moves, e.g. moving VM from ESXi host A to ESXi host B in another chassis, closet, building, etc.
  • Fast manual server recovery, e.g. moving VM from ESXi host A that has just had a server hardware or VMware failure to ESXi host B that is healthy. See also VMware High Availability and Site Recovery Manager.
  • Setting up software at a staging location to be later moved or deployed elsewhere. For multi-site scenarios, this may instead require “exporting” the VM.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: