PACC
Level 1
Level 1

Some details first:
CallManager 11.5.1.12900-21
NEC DT800 series IP phone
IPv4 only

Hey all,

I want to connect an NEC DT800 IP phone to our CM, however I am getting Registration Rejected from CM. The phone reports SIP Server Not Found but I wonder if that is simply because CM is rejecting it. CM is recording the IP address of the phone on the device page.

I followed a Cisco guide for setting up the Cisco side.

I have configured on CM:
A SIP Profile

A Phone Security Profile (I created two to try, one based on Third Party SIP Advanced and the other Basic):
- Digest Authentication enabled
- Port 5060

An End User with Digest Credentials

A device:
- 3rd Party SIP Device
- Specified the SIP and Security profiles created above
- Specified Digest User created above

On the phone I have set:
- userid and password same as digest user credentials above
- server ip and port
- extension
- There is an Encryption menu on the phone with an Auth Mode and One Time Password settings. I have those disabled.

Is there something I'm missing, or is the phone perhaps not compatible?

thanks

justin

EDIT: I have also associated the CM end user with the device.

9 Replies 9

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

you also have configured a line in the phone configuration? Without a configured line, a SIP phone in general (Cisco and any 3rd party SIP phones) isn't able to register.

Thanks for the reply b.winter.

If configuring a line on the phone means more than just setting the extension number in the SIP User menu then no.  I can't find anything in the phones config menu about setting up lines.

Maybe I should move to the NEC forums (if there are any!).

You need to configure an extension number in the phone configuration menu in CUCM.

As you mentioned, just setting the extension number in the phone itself isn't enough.

Unbenannt.JPG

The same extension you configure in CUCM, you also have to configure in the phone.

Sorry, didn't see this reply.  Yes I had configured a line in CUCM as well.  I wasn't sure if there was something specific to the phone itself about configuring a line rather than just specifying the extension.

PACC
Level 1
Level 1

After some more online investigation I can see others stating that the NEC phones don't seem to play well with other phone systems.

They may need a different firmware flashed on them and even then you would lose too much functionality to be worth the effort.

thanks

PACC
Level 1
Level 1

Me again!  Trying again.  I have the RTMT tool installed, does anyone know what logs I could look at for this?  Would I need to increase logging levels perhaps?

In RTMT I can see the phone with StatusReason = InitializationError but nothing more.

EDIT: found the logs under Syslog Viewer/Applicatin Logs/AlternateSyslog

I can see Reason=2 which appears to be MisconfiguredDirectoryNumber.  I can see in the log ConfiguredDNs=266-Null

266 is the directory number configured.  The device in cucm does have a Line 2 Unassociated.

The phone button template for Third-party SIP Device (Basic) only has one Line.  Is that other Null line perhaps causing the issue?

What's the line number configured in the phone itself? It has to match the line number configured in CUCM.

And no, the Null line shouldn't cause the issue. But for you to make sure, you could modify the template to only have one line-button.

Both phone and cucm device have 266 as the extension.

I realised that the phone button template wasn't actually applied to the cucm device   The template only has one Line but it still shows Unassigned Associated Items and the ability to add a second line.

I am now only getting the following error:

%UC_CALLMANAGER-3-EndPointTransientConnection: %[ConnectingPort=5060][DeviceName=][DeviceType=336][Reason=20][Protocol=SIP][LastSignalReceived=SIPRegisterInd][StationState=wait_register][ClusterID=StandAloneCluster][NodeID=cucm-01]: An endpoint attempted to register but did not complete registration

Reason=20 appears to be:

DigestAuthChallengeForID - (SIP only) A SIP device attempted to register without a device name or MAC address. Unified CM responded with a challenge (401) which requests the device to resend the REGISTER message and include an Authorization header containing a user ID. Unified CM will use this user ID to attempt to find the device in the configuration database.

I added the MAC address to cucm (even though I didn't think it was necessary).  Unsure what the device name refers to.  I tried to make it simple (just to see if it works) and made the userid, digest/password and extension all the same.  The phone only accepts numerals for credentials anyway.

PACC
Level 1
Level 1

Update: I can't get the NEC to work but I was able to get MicroSIP to connect to the SIP device I had set up in CUCM.

Seems these NEC IP Phones just aren't compatible.