cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to seize an outside line with something other than '9'

mx
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning. Our company is facing a slight dilemma. All our installs seize an outside line using 9, then a 10 digit number. Now I am told that in Maine, the law will be that users must dial 911 directly, not 9,911 like they currently do.  My question is, can we use *? I know we cant use #.  Or are there any other recommendations? The problem with using another number is they are also taken for internal locations.

Bob

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can use *, depending on your dial plan and config, why don't you simply configure the 911 RP with urgent priority? do you have something that overlaps with it??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you Jaime. I do not have anything that interferes with it that I know of. Below are my dial peers at the remote location, sending them out the analog line (srst).  Do you have an example that I can look at?

dial-peer voice 900 pots
 preference 3
 destination-pattern 9[1-6]11
 port 0/2/0
 forward-digits 3
!
dial-peer voice 910 pots
 preference 2
 destination-pattern 9[1-6]11
 port 0/2/1
 forward-digits 3

You can use any digit except 9, lets say "0" to seize the line and then have a dial-peer specially for 911 as below because anyways the prefix digit will be removed before sending out:

dial-peer voice X pots
 destination-pattern 911
 port 0/2/0
 forward-digits all

dial-peer voice 900 pots
 preference 3
 destination-pattern 0[1-6]11
 port 0/2/0
 forward-digits 3

HTH

Rajan

You usually want to support both ways one with your X digit to seize the line and without it, just like Rajan showed.

Rolando Valenzuela.