cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to setup a SIP connection on a Cisco 7821

Victor Savy
Level 1
Level 1

I an trying to setup a new Cisco 7821 to use an existing external SIP account. The phone is ethernet connected to a standard domestic router. I had expected to be able to access admin settings on the phone via a browser on my PC, and enter sip user, password and server details, but if I browse to the ip address of the phone displayed on my router, I do not get a response. From web investigations, it seems I need to download an "MPP" version of the firmware and ftp that to the phone, but seemingly I have to first talk to the phone by licensed admin cisco software to tell it to allow the new firmware. I also seem to need a "PAK" (seemingly license related)  that I am not aware that I have.

1. Is it actually possible to get this not-inexpensive "IP phone" to work on a simple SIP VOIP account without buying costly admin software?

2. Does anyone have the detailed steps involved?

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Convert between Enterprise Firmware and Multiplatform Firmware for Cisco IP Phone 7800 and 8800 Series Guide 

You’ll need to purchase the conversion license from an authorized reseller.

Jonathan,

Many thanks, I will in first instance try and ger retailer to swap the phone for what I believe to be the correct model (7821-3PCC-K9)

Vic.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easy way is to convert the phone to 3PCC/MPP. 

Another method is to use the existing Enterprise image and integrate it to work with non-Cisco call managers.  The trick is to get a known working SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file.  And one that is known to work with 78xx and 88xx can be found HERE.