cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

newbie question about 7821 ip phone

HenriG
Level 1
Level 1

I am a home end user of a voip service provider and i have a 7821 phone that is brand new out of the box that was given to me . It was surplus from a large company.

It appears to be set by default to connect to software from an enterprise server. The screen says phone not registered. I would like to configure it to use my current voip service provider. there are no editable fields provided by the web interface. I downloaded the cmterm 12.5 file from the cisco web site that appears to be a sip sw for that phone.

1 Is this the right sw to use to use an external voip sip provider or is the sw already installed adequate?

2 If new sw is needed , How do i install it onto the phone ?

3 How do i set up the login information for the voip service provider so the phone has it stored internally and used at each power up?

the phone information  and network are shown below

thank you for the help provided

Henri

information page :

Service mode Enterprise
Service domain  
Service state Idle
MAC Address C4B9CD808647
Host Name SEPC4B9CD808647
Phone DN 9531
App Load ID rootfs78xx.11-0-1SR1-2
Boot Load ID sboot78xx.11-0-1SR1-2
Version sip78xx.11-0-1SR1-2
Hardware Revision 33
Serial Number WZP21040VR0
Model Number CP-7821
Message Waiting  
UDI phone
  Cisco IP Phone 7821
  CP-7821
  V04
  WZP21040VR0
Time 14:19:55
Time Zone  
Date 05/16/17
System Free Memory 2147483647
Java Heap Free Memory 1295336
Java Pool Free Memory 2147483647
FIPS Mode Enabled No

Network page:

MAC Address C4B9CD808647
Host Name SEPC4B9CD808647
Domain Name Home
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
BOOTP Server No
DHCP Yes
IP Address 192.168.1.16
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Router 1 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 1 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 2  
DNS Server 3  
Alternate TFTP No
TFTP Server 1  
TFTP Server 2  
DHCP Address Released No
Operational VLAN ID  
Admin VLAN ID  
Unified CM1  
Unified CM2  
Unified CM3  
Unified CM4  
Unified CM5  
Information URL  
Directories URL  
Messages URL  
Services URL  
Idle URL  
Idle URL Time 0
Proxy Server URL  
Authentication URL  
SW Port Setup Auto Negotiate
PC Port Setup Auto Negotiate
PC Port Disabled No
User Locale English_United_States
Network Locale United_States
User Locale Version Built-In
Network Locale Version Built-In
Speaker Enabled Yes
Group Listen No
GARP Enabled Yes
Span to PC Port No
Video Capability Enabled No
Voice VLAN Enabled Yes
PC VLAN  
Auto Line Select Enabled No
DSCP For Call Control CS3
DSCP For Configuration CS3
DSCP For Services Default
Security Mode Non Secure
Web Access Enabled No
SSH Access Enabled Yes
CDP: SW Port Yes
CDP: PC Port Yes
LLDP-MED: SW Port Yes
LLDP: PC Port Yes
LLDP Power Priority Unknown
LLDP Asset ID  
CTL File Not Installed
ITL File Not Installed
Automatic Port Synchronization No
Switch Port Remote Configuration Disabled
PC Port Remote Configuration Disabled
IP Addressing Mode Both (IPv4 and IPv6)
IP Preference Mode Control V4
IP Preference Mode For Media V4
IPv6 Auto Configuration Yes
IPv6 DAD Yes
IPv6 Accept Redirect Message No
IPv6 Reply Multicast Echo Request No
IPv6 Load Server  
IPv6 Log Server  
IPv6 CAPF Server  
DHCPv6 Yes
IPv6 Address ::
IPv6 Prefix Length 0
IPv6 Default Router 1 ::
IPv6 DNS Server 1 ::
IPv6 DNS Server 2 ::
IPv6 Alternate TFTP No
IPv6 TFTP Server 1 ::
IPv6 TFTP Server 2 ::
IPv6 Address Released No
Energywise Power Level Full
Energywise Domain  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, they both use SIP, that's why you * technically * could use either one with a 3rd party PBX. Thing is, Enterprise FW has the read only GUI you saw (as all the config is expected from a Cisco call control), 3PCC has a full fledged GUI to configure every single thing from the device.

SCCP is the proprietary protocol from Cisco, but that device does not even run SCCP, it's SIP only.

The enterprise phone and the 3PCC devices are different PNs, as I already mentioned, NO MIGRATION between 3PCC and Enterprise or viceversa, feel free to try it, it will simply error out.
When 3PCC devices were introduced, there was a migration from 3PCC to Enterprise, but NEVER the other way around. That option has since been removed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1 Is this the right sw to use to use an external voip sip provider or is the sw already installed adequate?

No, you should use a 3PCC/MPP device

2 If new sw is needed , How do i install it onto the phone ?

You can't, you need a whole new device which is the 3PCC/MPP variant. There is no migration from 3PCC/MPP to enterprise or viceversa.

3 How do i set up the login information for the voip service provider so the phone has it stored internally and used at each power up?

3PCC/MPP do have a config GUI where you enter all those details, you * can * make it work with your current FW, but it's going to be the hard way, as you will need to manually configure and format everything with the configuration files the phone requests as it would be registered to a Cisco call control.

HTH

java

1 By device, you mean an entirely different phone model ?

2 If i wanted to use the current 7821 , i would have to configure the phone to use a tftp address on my network, run a tftp server, provide a file on that server that has the information required. That file needs to use the scripting language unique to Cisco?

3 The datasheet for the device indicates it supports an asterix call control method. If i set up an asterix server on my network to connect to the voip service provider, how do i setup the 7821 to connect to that asterix server?

4 I tried resetting the device from the front panel menu, , now i get a startup message requesting an activation code or a service domain. Its not clear what is meant by service domain, does it mean i need to configure the tftp server address in the network settings of the phone? And then provide a file on the tftp server with the cisco scripting language to tell the phone what to do?

thank you for your patience

Henri

1 Yes

2 They're .xml files, you can google or search CSC for examples, but you will need to figure out how to fine tune the details in those files so it works with any 3rd party PBX

3 Yeah, that's a 3PCC device you're talking about:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7800-series/3pcc/10-4-1-SR2/english/release-notes/pa2d_b_rn-7800-3pcc-1041sr2.html

This is the one for the one you have:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7800-series/data-sheet-c78-729488.html

See Call control support on the that link.

#2 is applicable as to how to register to asterisk if using enterprise FW, same procedure for ANY other option if not a Cisco call control.

4 That's used for MRA or Webex registration, that's what you get  if there's no TFTP or it's not reachable.

Search how to register cisco endpoints to 3rd party PBX and you'll get an idea of what you will need to do if you want to use it.

HTH

java

To summarize

the hardware version of the 7821mpp has the support directly for asterix. the hardware version that does not is called only 7812 and uses a Cisco proprietary protocol only and is not upgradable to the mpp by a cisco sip firmware download.

there is at least one patch to asterix that I found on the for the proprietary protocol , but they would have to be tested for my particular model of 7821

there is no Cisco supported migration path , but what happens if the version for the mpp version that supports sip is installed on the non mpp version 7821 hardware with the tftp instructions on the Cisco site?

No, they both use SIP, that's why you * technically * could use either one with a 3rd party PBX. Thing is, Enterprise FW has the read only GUI you saw (as all the config is expected from a Cisco call control), 3PCC has a full fledged GUI to configure every single thing from the device.

SCCP is the proprietary protocol from Cisco, but that device does not even run SCCP, it's SIP only.

The enterprise phone and the 3PCC devices are different PNs, as I already mentioned, NO MIGRATION between 3PCC and Enterprise or viceversa, feel free to try it, it will simply error out.
When 3PCC devices were introduced, there was a migration from 3PCC to Enterprise, but NEVER the other way around. That option has since been removed.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: