cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob Question - Setup Cisco 8831/8841 on existing network

itommo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am a noob to Cisco and want to trial setting up several Cisco 8831/8841 on an existing network (using existing DHCP Gateway etc) while using an Analogue line. Can someone point me to documentation that would outline the equipment that I would need to get this up and running - have searched and cannot find anything useful for a complete beginner.

5 Replies 5

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
IP Phones and Analog lines are mutually exclusive. Please detail out your requirement.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The configuration guides outline each config as an independent item and assume you have the knowledge on how to tie it all together.

So, you'd need to review the CUCM or CME configuration guide, then you'd need to choose what protocol to use for the analog ports, then configure them accordingly in CUCM/CME and configure your dial plan to make calls.

There is no documentation that will tell you what equipment you need based on needs, that's something you learn how to do based on knowing all the elements and how they work.

If you need assistance coming up with the design of a solution, and have no idea of Cisco VoIP, you should be reaching out to a Cisco partner so they can assist.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Understood - well I'm really struggling getting a straight answer from your Cisco Partners. I have now confirmed I can get a Digital ISDN2 line to the office rather than an analogue trunkline. I would like to know a ballpark figure to add 2x IP telephones and 2x IP conference room phones onto an existing network that has Gateway and PoE switch in place already. It would appear that the Cisco backend is priced to support massive deployments only.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
That is a relatively small setup with only 4 phones and a digital circuit.
You can look into getting a 8XX or 29XX ISR and running CME on it.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if you are using an analogue line for in and out external calls, you will need an ISR router with an FXO port.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.