Views
Helpful
Replies

One device, two lines, different clusters

alimack
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a bunch of users in the Philippines who currently have local phone numbers and are registered with our APAC cluster. However, a request has been made to give them an additional line with a US number (so they can make and receive calls as though they were in the US).

So I have two questions - 1) is this possible, and if so, 2) how?!

Thanks in advance, any guidance gratefully received!

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes it’s possible but the phone can’t register to two clusters so don’t get tripped up by that. This is merely a call routing problem. There are two common parts to this:
1) Configure Tail End Hop Off - preferably with the aid of an E.164 dial/numbering plan - to route off-net calls to US destinations made by users on the APAC cluster through the US cluster for PSTN handoff. Typically the only thing you have to be careful of here are outbound caller ID restrictions by the carrier here in the US. The CLECs are less likely to restrict your outbound ANI.
2) Translate a US DID to the APAC user DN and route it across the inter-cluster trunk to give them a “local” presence in the country for incoming calls.

Thanks Jonathan, I'll look into these two possible solutions. They both sound horrendously complicated, but this is CUCM, I'd expect nothing less :-)