Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Update

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hi All,

We are deploying CUCM (7.1) in our campus which has 9 buildings. In order to be able to perform SRST load balancing we are assigning device pools based on the user’s location (one DP per building). The migration is scheduled in the way that we cut one building per week. I have a survey which we did 4 months ago but since we are migrating users based on DP (building), this could cause an issue if the user has switch buildings, which I know a lot have.

I have few solutions in mind but wanted to know if you guys have an easier one.

I was thinking to BAT all of these users in a generic DP instead of going by what we have from the survey.  Then when we deploy the phones, and TAP them in, we then take note of the extensions that we deployed, and set the phones to the correct DP but this is very time consuming and not easy to do.

The other option is to export the phones after TAPing them in, change the DP and insert them back but we need to delete all those registered phones we just TAPed in before instering them. The boss is against this method as each building has about 700 IP phones.

I tried to use the Phone Update option without having the need of deleting those registered phones but no joy. I have made a custom file and uploaded to the CM. I can view the file using the "View file" button but when I click on "Find" a message  stating "

No active query. Please enter your search criteria using the options above.

displays.

I would appreciate if you guys could give me a smarter solution than the ones mentioned above.

Thanks,

MK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi MK,

When we do bulk changes such as the one you're talking about we've found one of the easiest approaches is to export everything to a .csv file and do all of the manipulation in excel to all of the fields necessary (ex. Device Pool in your case).  Bill Bell wrote a nice summary of the same method a few days ago which may help you out here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3039692#3039692

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jleehawkins
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure I understand the question or problem.

But have you looked into Device mobility?

How the Device Mobility would help?

Are your users taking their phones with them when they switch buildings?

Is your dial plan broken down by building?  As in does each building have a consectutive block of numbers?

Are your phones DID or auto-attendent to extension numbers?

I am assuming each building has a different subnet and it's not just one huge subnet across all your 9 buildings.  I also assume your inital BAT file with the dummy macs had all the correct DN and device configurations.

With those two assumptions what device mobility would do for you is based on the subnet a phone registers from that phone will place itself into the correct device pool.  So if your original 4 month old survey had user A in building 1 with building 1 DP but now user A is in building 2 and TAPS configures user A with building 1 DP what device mobility can do for you is configure user A in the building 2 DP based on the subnet user A's phone is in.

So basically you use Device mobility info (DMI) to assign a subnet or set of subnets to a device pool.

Then you assign device pools to a physical location and to a device mobility group.

so now the ip address that user A's phone registers from is checked against the configured DMIs.  If the subnet matches a DMI it checks the physcial location of the DP that the DMI is assigned to.  this physical location and the physical location of the phone user A's DP are compared.  If they are different then the phone will take on the configurations of the DP that the DMI is assigned to.

I might not be explaining it very well which is why I asked if you looked into Device mobility.  The UCM help can probably guide you through it.

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi MK,

When we do bulk changes such as the one you're talking about we've found one of the easiest approaches is to export everything to a .csv file and do all of the manipulation in excel to all of the fields necessary (ex. Device Pool in your case).  Bill Bell wrote a nice summary of the same method a few days ago which may help you out here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3039692#3039692

HTH,

Chris

Also, not sure if you guys have considered using extension mobility, but if you did you could let all of the phones auto-register to CUCM, and create a .csv file with all of the UDP entries for the users and import that.  This way you won't have to worry about importing/keeping track of MAC addresses in your .csv file.

Thanks Guys,

I am going to rate Bill's document as well.

MK