cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper conferencing resource setup & MRG(L)'s?

J. S. Black
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CUCM 8.5 system with many sites linked together by a meshed network.  Here's the breakdown:

Site 1: Has Pub+Sub, ISR running CUBE for SIP trunk to ITSP (PSTN)

Site 2: Has Sub, ISR with PRI (PSTN), local conferencing resources on the ISR

Site 3: Has ISR with PRI (PSTN), local conferencing resources on the ISR

Here's the deal: When a phone in Site 1 calls & does a conference through the SIP Trunk or conferences phones in the same site, I want that phone to use Site 1's conferencing resources. However, many calls from phones in Site 1 go through Site 2 or Site 3's PRIs for toll bypass purposes. Site 1 users often conference two or more calls through the PSTN, going through the same PRI. I want these calls to be conferenced on Site 2 or 3's resources only if calls are going through that gateway (to minimize WAN usage). Is this something that can be done?

I was thinking this could be easily implemented as I would define special MRGL's for the gateways themselves, but according to my interpretation of Cisco's documentation, the gateway MRGL is only used for determining which MTP resource will be used (no mention of conferencing or transcoding).  Am I stuck with using the phone's MRGL for conferencing selection? If so, I would not be able to select a conferencing resource based on the "port of entry/exit" to the PSTN... Any thoughts?

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this is not a dynamic config that will use resources based on where the calls are coming from.

You configure a MRGL on device and device pool, whenever you press conference you will hunt thru those resources in the specified order.

There is no way to do what you want, the only method that changes this based on IPs is device mobility.

Am I stuck with using the phone's MRGL for conferencing selection?

Yes, that's the way this works.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate