Views
Helpful
Replies

Protocol and GW

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

I took a look on :

which protocol is the best to put it work in a Gw? for this case...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1144860#1144860

"For PSTN connectivity:

PRI is the best.  You will have the least amount of troubles. 

QSIG is a close secondary, and you get some more features, but it becomes a little harder to troubleshoot.

T1/E1 CAS should be avoided unless it's the only choice."

Why  T1/E1 CAS should be avoided ?

It's my only choice.

Thanks.

Rosa

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That answer depends on the point of view of each individual and from where they're from, in some countries you simply do not have the same choices and have to go with whatever is available.

AFAIK CAS was the old technology, and then most countries upgraded to PRI.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

Hi Rosa,

It depends... T1/E1 CAS is not bad just is the oldest tecnology so why request a Pentium III when you can have a Pentium i5 (I hope Intel send me a gift for the ad ).

Regards

Please rate all useful posts
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles.

Rosa,

SIP trunking is the next generation PSTN connectivity and is available in most markets these days via traditional telco carriers or new carriers. Basically rather than having TDM based circuit such as E1 or T1, you use either existing data connection or dedicated data connection to carry voice calls to PSTN provider via IP across a SIP trunk.  The technology has been around for few years and has gained much of market share across the world.  There are many benefits to it, and provider can list those to you along with ROI calculations.

HTH,

Chris

H323 or SIP between GW and CUCM. SIP is not just for SIP trunking, but it can also be used as GW control protocol.

MGCP does not support E1-CAS, so that is not an option, neither would I ever recommend MGCP for anything :-)

HTH,

Chris

Yes, you can configure the GW with SIP protocol, i.e. dial-peers and build it in CUCM as SIP trunk, this is very similar to building an H323 GW.

Both H323 and SIP are acceptable and it is just a matter of preference, you can easily convert H323 to SIP in future date if you bring in a SIP trunk instead of E1 R2 circuit.

Chris

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That answer depends on the point of view of each individual and from where they're from, in some countries you simply do not have the same choices and have to go with whatever is available.

AFAIK CAS was the old technology, and then most countries upgraded to PRI.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Thanks for you answer.

In Brazil we have E1 R2 digital. Is it difficult to configure and troubleshoot ?

Rosa

Hi Rosa,

It depends... T1/E1 CAS is not bad just is the oldest tecnology so why request a Pentium III when you can have a Pentium i5 (I hope Intel send me a gift for the ad ).

Regards

Please rate all useful posts
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles.

Or you can go for the i7 and get SIP trunk :-)

Chris

Oooops!  

and now ? what are the benefits of choosing SIP trunk ? Can I have a Sip trunk to PSTN ?

i5 or i7 ?

Rosa

Rosa,

SIP trunking is the next generation PSTN connectivity and is available in most markets these days via traditional telco carriers or new carriers. Basically rather than having TDM based circuit such as E1 or T1, you use either existing data connection or dedicated data connection to carry voice calls to PSTN provider via IP across a SIP trunk.  The technology has been around for few years and has gained much of market share across the world.  There are many benefits to it, and provider can list those to you along with ROI calculations.

HTH,

Chris

I understand, but by now there is no choice as an E1 R2 digital is in use.

So H323 GW should be configured in order to accomplish compatibility with this E1 R2.

Thanks for your answer.

Rosa

H323 or SIP between GW and CUCM. SIP is not just for SIP trunking, but it can also be used as GW control protocol.

MGCP does not support E1-CAS, so that is not an option, neither would I ever recommend MGCP for anything :-)

HTH,

Chris

Chris I guess I misunderstood.

I can configure 2811 as SIP GW to interact with CUCM using E1 R2 ?

I am not able to figure out wich choice seems better and/or easiest to a novice.

If I prefer a H323 GW it will be possible, in the future, to change from E1 R2 to SIP trunk without reconfiguring 2811 ?

Thanks Rosa

Yes, you can configure the GW with SIP protocol, i.e. dial-peers and build it in CUCM as SIP trunk, this is very similar to building an H323 GW.

Both H323 and SIP are acceptable and it is just a matter of preference, you can easily convert H323 to SIP in future date if you bring in a SIP trunk instead of E1 R2 circuit.

Chris

Thanks.

I will continue configuring 2811 as H323 GW and after deployment is completed and service is stable changes could be done if necessary.

Rosa