cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purchasing an IP phone and license in one transaction?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

I was recently quoted for a 7965 where the part number included the cost of the license.  The part number I was quoted was CP-7965G-CH1.

We typically purchase the phone and the licenses separately.  Are there any requirements with regard to purchasing the phones in this way?  Are their any catches to us purchasing the phone this way?

Please let me know if you do.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

7 Replies 7

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Vicky,

I think you are talking about the service contracts for the phone which is different from licenses.

Licenses will be purchased based on the product in which you are registering the phone to. For example, to register the phone in CUCM, you need to procure licenses for the phones in CUCM and if you are using CME(call manager express), then you need to activate the Uc licenses and accept the EULA for the licenses.

On the other hand, service contract for the phone includes hardware support (which makes you eligible for RMA of faulty hardware) and extended warranty and support for these phones.

HTH

Shenbagarajan

Hi Chris, the version of my call manager is 8.5.1.

Hi Shenbagarajan, I am asking if the cisco phones that have the CHI at the end of the part number can be used with my call manager instead of making the two purchases of a phone and a license.  All along we have had two lines items, one for the phone and one for the license.  Can we purchase the phone part number CP-7965G-CH1 and have the process become a single line item?

Please let me know if you do.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

CUCM 8.5 uses concept of DLUs for licenses hence they do not come bundled together with the phone.  I don't think you can even order CUCM 8.5 DLUs/user licenses anymore as 8.5 is EOS, see:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/eos-eol-notice-c51-730843.html

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this information.  Extremely helpful!

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What system and what version?

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Vicky,

I have had faced similar "issue". I think you are using CCW and when you add a phone it wants to add Lic as well.

So, typically if you have an enterprise setup, just purchase the Phone, no need to add ESW into it or the Lic, the Lic counts can be bought separately under a different contract.

More over, since 8.5 is EoL and EoS, the Licensing team would definitely need to go through the Account Mgmt team (I think), I guess you will have to speak to your Cisco Rep for pricing about the licensing.

HTH

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for this information!  I think we need to get our upgrade done ASAP.